Struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Struts

morroccoz
11-01-2004, 10:49 PM
One more attempt at this one. 01 GT, struts (I think), my alignment guy says it is mounts and bushings, both have a hollow knock at slow speeds. She has 66K one her now. He says that to redo the mounts and bushings it will be like 400 bucks.

The car rides so hard, that the Monsoon CD player skips. So do I just say the hell with it and assume that the struts are shot and do it all? He claims they are still good. Hard to believe with a ride like a dumptruck. If I go the whole 9 yards how much more cash am I looking at?

I heard a lot of you talking about the aftermarket struts, but I see more posts about noise and rock hard rides than not.

PLEASE advise..........

Hodge
11-01-2004, 11:04 PM
i get that too at like 15 mph, my dad told me new struts, eveyrone seems to like "KYB" struts so im gonna wait like till spring then get them.

AznGA
11-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Ok, what springs do you have with stock struts?

morroccoz
11-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Stock springs/ stock struts. The same old stuff since she was new.

action
11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
You wont necessarilly need new struts, the mounts are about $100CAD each for the front because they have a bearing plate.

Its your call if you replace the struts now or later.

morroccoz
11-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Just thought that since the ride was so rough, that I might be due. I wish there was a sure fire way to tell. Seems like everything that I read here touches on it but never gets right down to it.

Are bad mounts a common thing on this car? My alignment guy told me that GAs and Aleros like to eat them, but I want to be sure before I go forking out for them. I also hate to do just the mounts and then turn back around and have to do the struts.

morroccoz
11-04-2004, 08:26 AM
how many of you have changed your mounts and bushings?

action
11-04-2004, 01:52 PM
I havent on my car, but I have an uninvestigated clunk and mounts are probably the cause.

Wheel alighment guys here say the same thing, that n-bodies are hard on them.

Ive already replaced the rear ones though.

action
11-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Bad strut symptoms can include fluid (oil) leaking from the strut, or by bouncing each corner of the car to see if it keeps bouncing or if the strut controls the bounce.

IF somone is following you, they will see the wheel with a bad strut bounce repeadly like a basketball over bumps in the road, at speed.

Hodge
11-04-2004, 01:57 PM
thanks, looks like in the spring its gonna cost a little more money for the mounts now + struts + boots + lowering springs ;/

action
11-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Better to do it together like that though, then to pay repetative shop charges for taking out the same stuff each time you need something replaced.

NorKoastal
11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
If you got an air gun the job is not too bad... The two bottom bolts are tough
The top nut that holds the strut together is impossible to get off w/o the air gun.. With the gun its off and back together in 5 minutes.. If you get KYB's make sure you use thier nut because it has smaller teeth than the stockers... I found out the hard way.... Get alignment done and enjoy the improved handling..

morroccoz
11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
So if I go ahead and get what, the whole assembly, which I assume would include the struts, springs, mounts and bushings, I can do this all myself?

I hate to spend the $$ on the springs I don't need + I hear that you need the spring compressor to get them out.

I am my way to $400 for just the mounts and bushing installed, so I wonder if I just ought to go through the extra mile on the parts since I will be saving on the labor by doing it on my own.

Oh I can hear myslef cussing in the garage already! :scream:

morroccoz
11-04-2004, 03:48 PM
How about the mounts and bushings? Is that something I can do or am I looking at disassembling everything? If the strut and spring come out as one unit, I would think that I would have a shot at it.

action
11-04-2004, 05:07 PM
The strut, spring, mount and plate are all one unit when you take it out. Once its out you take off the nut on top of the strut shaft with an air gun and it all comes apart, which is why its just as well to replace all that your going to replace at the same time.

The springs will be fine to reuse unless you want lowering springs. The mount is likely the cause of the clunking so it should be replaced, if your struts are going south, now is the time to replace them too, if not just replace what you need.

Dont forget to get a wheel alignment done after you take apart the front end like that. I can gurantee uneven tire wear if you do not.

For more detailed instructions, see the how too forum and look for installing lowering springs to see how this all goes together.

morroccoz
11-06-2004, 11:33 PM
I appreciate the info. I was under the assumption that I had to have one of those wall mount spring compressors. I'll check out the info.

I really appreciate the response, it is a big help!

99GTCoupe
09-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey all, sorry to drudge up this old thread, but I have a clunking type noise that comes from the rear of my car, driver's side only, when I go over sharp bumps and such. The ride in my car is great, but I get that clunk, so most likely it is the mount? And would it be best to replace the mounts on both side in the rear, for conformity? And as for an alignment, I will be getting my front tires replaced and so will be getting one anyways. Best thing to do would be to have the mounts replaced and then get the two tires, and finally an alignment, correct?

Please respond, thank you :)