New Spark Plugs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Spark Plugs

Infernall
11-04-2004, 11:20 AM
After having the head gasket changed, I noticed a big difference in top level performance with my 2001 GA SE (3.4). I was burning coolant in the oil, and I believe I may need new plugs now because of the mixing. My Accleration time is about half as punchy as it was before the leaking got bad.

If I need new plugs, which kind should I get? PartsSource in Canada says to stick with the AC Delco Platinums, and tell me that I will have problems with other plugs. Is this true? Can I just grab some bosch platinum 2's? I really would like to find the right combination of value/performance, as I do not have a lot of cash to spend.

Should I change the wires and or the distributor cap when I change the sparks?

What else could I try?

Thanks guys...

Kdawg207
11-04-2004, 11:21 AM
they are full of it.....get what ever brand you want...i like the NGK Iridium's that I have

new wires too would be great....i got the msd from doctorspeed

Slim
11-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I'd stick with the Delcos. I've always heard good things about Delco plugs. Plus, they'll be a lot cheaper than Bosch.

In my last GM car, I had the best results with Delco plugs. Just my opinion though...

Infernall
11-04-2004, 04:12 PM
I'd stick with the Delcos. I've always heard good things about Delco plugs. Plus, they'll be a lot cheaper than Bosch.

In my last GM car, I had the best results with Delco plugs. Just my opinion though...

The GM dealership quotes $18.95 EACH for the stock delco plugs.

Canadian tire charges $8.95 for Bosch Premium +2 each.

So... Just the plugs? or cables too?

abusedgt97
11-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Get AC Delco plugs, as far as the wires are concerned it depends on the age and the condition. If you are going to get them changed get AC Delco as well. They tend to be built better, last longer, and fit much better.

Infernall
11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
My car has 95.000 KMs right now. I just changed Fuel filter, coolant, fan relay, Lower intake manifold gasket, head gasket, regular oil changes, and now I need plugs.

How much should I have to spend on delco plugs and wires? I bought this car at 84,000 KMs, and have changed all of the above over three months time.

I really wish the previous owner took better care...

Mike Jung
11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
I would stay-away from Bosch spark plugs; especially the +2 & +4's, as people have tried them & have had mis-fires from them afterwards.

Get the AC Delco platinum spark plugs or NGK platinum or iridium spark plugs.
(The AC Delco iridium spark plugs are made by NGK's, as people have found out here).

Why not also change the spark plug wires since you are changing the spark plugs at the same time.

Malaclypse
11-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah. Do not under any circumstances use Bosch plugs in any GM engine. The two do not mix. A set of copper core NGKs work alot better than any Bosch plug on the market for us.

Many cars come in with problems and have Bosch plugs. Going back to stock always fixes them, too.

Slim
11-05-2004, 06:14 AM
The GM dealership quotes $18.95 EACH for the stock delco plugs.

Well, there's your first problem. Don't get the Delco plugs from the dealership. You can find them at Can Tire or any parts store for less than half that price.

Infernall
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate the help.

I'll be buying my plugs and wires in few days, so I'll let you know how it goes.

atc3434
11-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Yeah. Do not under any circumstances use Bosch plugs in any GM engine. The two do not mix. A set of copper core NGKs work alot better than any Bosch plug on the market for us.

Many cars come in with problems and have Bosch plugs. Going back to stock always fixes them, too.

I've had 3 GM's now, a 5.7 in my IROC-Z, a 3.3 in a Buick Cenutry, and my GA's, 3.4, and all of them have been run with regular Bosch Platinums with 0 problems. Can't speak for the +2's and +4's but the regular platinums have been just fine in any car I've had.

Hexx
11-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Delco is the way to go =D I run them in my Camaro...stockers...and so doesnt my bro in his...and pretty much all are vehicles.

Silver02EX
11-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I have Delco in my Saturn $.99 each and $12 for wires...

john_ertw
11-08-2004, 05:48 PM
If you want Delcos try Walmart. The one near me has AC Delcos in stock.

I put in NGK G-power (they are platinum plugs). I have not noticed any difference in terms of anything: power or gas milage. When I bought mine I found info saying to use either NGK Irridums or the stock AC Delcos. The NGK G-power were really cheap at Canadian Tire (they were on sale at the time) so I figured try them out, and if they suck, go back to Delcos. If you are not in a hurry, keep an eye on the Canadian Tire flyer. I find they put spark plugs on sale about once a month (sometimes Bosch and sometimes NGKs).

Stay away from Bosch on your GM. I think you'd be better off keeping your old plugs.

tenspeed
11-08-2004, 06:07 PM
I had bosch in my 96 2.4L. They lasted almost 100,000 miles before any misfire. That was because the electrode was half gone. It gave me a rough idle.

intrikitemo
06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
My car has 95.000 KMs right now. I just changed Fuel filter, coolant, fan relay, Lower intake manifold gasket, head gasket, regular oil changes, and now I need plugs.

How much should I have to spend on delco plugs and wires? I bought this car at 84,000 KMs, and have changed all of the above over three months time.

I really wish the previous owner took better care...

u should be changing the fuel filter every 48,00km dude..

VaGT
06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Perhaps you missed the line about him just buying the car recently...

eBandit
06-15-2005, 01:58 PM
After having the head gasket changed, I noticed a big difference in top level performance with my 2001 GA SE (3.4). I was burning coolant in the oil, and I believe I may need new plugs now because of the mixing. My Accleration time is about half as punchy as it was before the leaking got bad.

If I need new plugs, which kind should I get? PartsSource in Canada says to stick with the AC Delco Platinums, and tell me that I will have problems with other plugs. Is this true? Can I just grab some bosch platinum 2's? I really would like to find the right combination of value/performance, as I do not have a lot of cash to spend.

Should I change the wires and or the distributor cap when I change the sparks?

What else could I try?

Thanks guys...

You shouldnt have a distributor cap on a 2001 Grand Am 3.4L

AaronGAGT
06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
You shouldnt have a distributor cap on a 2001 Grand Am 3.4L

maybe he means coil packs???

and for the Bosch haters... I've had about 55,000 on mine without a single problem. Although I have heard bad stuff about the +2's and +4s.

Buy the regular Bosch and they'll probably last you until you get rid of your car anyways.

replica9000
08-16-2005, 04:58 AM
I don't hate Bosch but this might explain a bit about why the +2 and +4 plugs are a bad idea...

Why do some spark plugs have multiple ground electrodes?
This is an attempt by the manufacturers to increase the service life of the spark plug. The ground electrodes can wear down rapidly in some engines. Tiny particles of metal are removed from the ground electrode each time the plug fires hence they gradually wear away. There is a misconception that a multi ground plug will produce mutiple sparks - this is not true, only the nearest electrode to the centre (i.e. currenty the longest) will spark, as that becomes worn, another electrode will become the longest and replace it as the sparking electrode.

Do multi ground electrode plugs outperform single ground plugs?
In most cases, no. The additional electrodes disturb the flow of gases around the spark plug tip and performance may even be reduced. In addition, for high performance applications the additional metal within the combustion chamber will retain more heat and may be more prone to detonation/pre ignition.

chosen_one
09-14-2006, 11:57 PM
so what would be the best spark plugs to buy? and do they increase performance? like HP or MPG? and what about new wires? like the taylor 8mm wires...does that do anything for performance? i am kinda curious and kinda need to know... thanx!

Malaclypse
09-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Typically, the only gains you'll see from replacing worn out plugs and wires are just the gains of having new parts. It won't make a terrible amount of difference if you use stock wires and plugs or aftermarket.

Some aftermarket wires -do- have better plug and coil boots that actually keep water off of coil pack terminals. I've had two sets of stock Delco wires leak water onto my coil pack terminals causing corossion.