can Traction control damage exhaust? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : can Traction control damage exhaust?

carsarecool
11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
I understand traction control on most cars to work by backing off the spark timing, cutting fuel in one or more cylinders, upshifting the tranny and braking one of the drive wheels(..maybe thats Stabilitrak?) the GA trac. control just works with timing and maybe the transmission right? this is probly a dumb question but....if it retards the spark timing enough to slow the engine, doesnt that mean its not burning all the fuel, or not at full compression? i also understand if anything other than CO gas(exhaust) goes through the Cat. Converter, it messes it up pretty bad- for you guys who have heard your car's exhaust when the TC system is limiting wheelspin, you know how different it sounds- i dunno maybe it's not bad, just sounds like it is.

mr_eh
11-05-2004, 11:14 AM
i dont think it would damage anything to be honest with you, they have to be logical and figure people will get stuck in the snow from time to time and wheel spin is inevitable... i doubt it hurts anything, i think theres even some ga's that dont even come with the ets button to turn it off at all... so how bad could it be

Slim
11-05-2004, 11:20 AM
The ETS on the GA mainly cuts fuel. The timing retard also takes places, but the reduced fuel would make any odd emissions going down the exhaust system pretyt much negligible.

carsarecool
11-05-2004, 11:25 AM
yeah, sounds right, i just wasnt sure if it caused deposits in the engine from unburned fuel or damaged the cat (all over a long time, since its not on a lot) but yea GM probly figured it would be used a lot and designed it so it wouldnt cause a lot of significant damage. just like they designed their wheel hubs, water pumps and lower intake manifold gaskets.

onesexyga
11-05-2004, 12:15 PM
I thought traction control, at least on the ga, is a simpler style that just refers to the differential?