Won't start. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Won't start.

Baundy06
11-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Yesterday after school i went to my car, got in... well when i tried to turn it on alot of funny things happened. In the ACC and ON position my stereo worked, everything was good, but as soon as i tried to start the car... 1) the stereo and all other lights turned off 2) everything went blank except for the "Service Engine Soon" light 3) I could hear my gas pump turn on but my car wouldn't click, turn over, nothing just dead silence except for the feul pump.

I ended up getting it towed to the dealership i bought it from (a Ford dealership that sells used cars also... blah). Got any ideas on what went wrong? The only other things i can say are that about a month ago my battery died from leaving the lights on. I got jumped and have ran on the same battery since. And yesterday morning my baby ran perfectly fine... so weird. Help please!

juanvan
11-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Tiss the season for a new Batterys...
Take it to auto zone and have them load test it or/and
Turn the headlights on, turn the key to start it and see if they go dim
Def the battery then

atc3434
11-06-2004, 02:21 PM
$20 on the battery. If it jumpstarts, that would prove it.

Baundy06
11-06-2004, 10:07 PM
I tried to get it boosted. With my friends '02 F-250 and nothing, it didnt click or anything, no attpempt to turn over. Theres no way its the battery... atleast in my opinion.

Pacman
11-06-2004, 10:21 PM
check for corrosion on the battery terminals. same thing happened to me in my high school parking lot. if not corrosion, make sure the terminals have good contact with the battery

atc3434
11-06-2004, 10:50 PM
well, let us know what the dealership says, I'm interested. You gotta have jumper's hooked up well to get a real dead battery to fire over. It took me a few tries the other week to boost a dead battery in a jeep at my friends farm. Even though the connections looked good, they needed some serious wiggling to finally get the juice flowing.

BiHStL
11-06-2004, 11:16 PM
holy ****, my car wouldnt start on friday afer school. Prob wasnt the battery and i had to get it towed to the dealership, looks like its the fuel filter...hopefully they will find exactly what it is and fix it on mon. This weekedn sucks ass

Pacman
11-06-2004, 11:17 PM
well, let us know what the dealership says, I'm interested

*iagree* let us know

Baundy06
11-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Will do. :)

tenspeed
11-07-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm guessing it's the battery.

BLEE
11-07-2004, 07:17 PM
my car wouldnt start last week either...dead battery and according to dealer, dead ignition switch..

Baundy06
11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Well Ford obviously coulnt tap into the computer to see anyhting, or so they say. So now they are cgarging me for a tow 40 miles to the nearest GM/Pontiac dealer. If i dont have this car back in perfect condition ill flip... so im preparing to flip most likely...

Pontiac Ninja
11-08-2004, 04:47 PM
I tried to get it boosted. With my friends '02 F-250 and nothing, it didnt click or anything, no attpempt to turn over. Theres no way its the battery... atleast in my opinion.

Yeah mine did something very similar for a long time: it would start sometimes and other times not start (dead silence accept for the fuel pump). Turned out it was the starter acting up itermittently (sp). That could be your problem. I went through 2 ignition switches, cleaned battery terminals (and new bolt and harness) before it finally happened for the dealership and they figured out it was the starter. Oh, well it was fixed in the end. I also had it towed to the dealership twice to see before it finally happened for them as well. So, good luck. :)

Baundy06
11-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Called the GM dealer today. Said when the truck towed it in, they put it down, and DROVE IT INTO THE SHOP. They then allowed it to run for an hour to see if it would die... nope. Left it sit for an hour, came back and started it back up. Im gono pick it up tomorro, and go buy a new battery for it. If i have anymore issues, im gono shoot stright for the starter, they tested the alternator and said it was fine. Thanks for your helps guys, keep shooting the suggestions please! Especially things i should ask them tomorro when i get it.

Pontiac Ninja
11-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Called the GM dealer today. Said when the truck towed it in, they put it down, and DROVE IT INTO THE SHOP. They then allowed it to run for an hour to see if it would die... nope. Left it sit for an hour, came back and started it back up. Im gono pick it up tomorro, and go buy a new battery for it. If i have anymore issues, im gono shoot stright for the starter, they tested the alternator and said it was fine. Thanks for your helps guys, keep shooting the suggestions please! Especially things i should ask them tomorro when i get it.

Yep, that will happen! Believe me I know and it SUCKS! Good luck with everything, I think it is your starter like in my case. Hopefully it is something as simple as the battery though. But you would have thought the dealership could have found that out for ya or not (if the batter was bad or not). Good luck! :)