switching drum to disc... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : switching drum to disc...

ozorowsky
11-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Hey everyone, I want to switch my rear disc brakes to drum. All I should have to do is drain fluid, pull drums off, put rotors and calipers on, and put fluid back in right? Is there anything else I might be missing? Please let me know thanks.

EBlend
11-07-2004, 09:00 AM
ur first sentense says the opposite of what ur second sentence says, u said u wanted to switch from disk to drum hehe

but no there is more to it then that, do a search, i have done this, you need the whole read gt hub assembly to get this to work

eaglesrealm
11-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Since your car was trimmed for base braking and ABS for drums in the rear, I would personally leave it that way.

juanvan
11-07-2004, 05:51 PM
You think you would need to change the Master cylinder, and the e-brak hook ups ~ maybe even the whole cable?

eaglesrealm
11-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, new e-brake hardware would be needed. As for the master cylinder, it should still allow fine brake actuation.

ozorowsky
11-08-2004, 07:54 AM
I'm sorry, rear brakes now have drums, and no abs. I want to put disc and abs. So your saying that I can't just change the rotors and calipers? I want something a bit safer to drive. I've slid a few times in the rain already not even braking hard. I need something a bit safer.

Fenderman
11-08-2004, 08:13 AM
switching to disc is not going to help you with sliding in the rain , id save the headache and money and invest in a great set of tires.

eaglesrealm
11-08-2004, 12:14 PM
If that is the case, you will not gain much IMHO from this mod, safety related. Yes, drum's engage a little slower than discs. However, the rear tires do very little of the breaking proportionally. I did not see Fenderman's reply till just now, but I could not agree more.

Stop thinking about this mod and just invest money in some good tires. (Which are NOT RSA's in my opinion)

ozorowsky
11-10-2004, 07:44 PM
how about abs system? I was thinking of switching to all disc/abs. I mean this thing is worse in rain than my camaro running Nitto555's.

eaglesrealm
11-10-2004, 08:04 PM
What year is this? You do not have ABS already??? And there is no easy or good way to install ABS if you do not already have it.

ozorowsky
11-10-2004, 08:09 PM
nothing is easy, eagle, LOL. This is an 04 grand am se1. As far as I know it does not have abs. At least if it does, the abs does not work.

eaglesrealm
11-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Well, I was being kind by saying it was just not an easy thing to do. On the 2004 SE1, the ABS and T/C was an option. I cannot even begin to list the things you would have to add/change to get this on there. To begin with, you would have to screw up the electrical to get some half assed setup for the ECU. The ECU and such is fused and part of an overall electrical scheme that you would have to severely screw with.

I am an engineer at an ABS facility. I would never suggest this mod to anyone.

ozorowsky
11-10-2004, 08:41 PM
So you think it is not worth it, and I should forget about brake upgrade?

eaglesrealm
11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I will only ever buy a car with ABS, and prefer them with traction control and VSC (vehicle stability control). So I think these products are very important to have. However, if the vehicle did not come with it, it is very difficult to integrate it, let alone feel comfortable that it is safe. So yes, I would just invest in some good tires as was mentioned before and keep in mind to ask about ABS on your next vehicle purchase. Even with the RSA tires, you shouldnt be slipping about that much during normal braking on wet pavement.

ozorowsky
11-11-2004, 08:19 AM
I usually don't but I had 3 REALLY BAD experiences. 1, I was driving down the road, and all of a sudden a car (I was doing 45 the car was about 3 or 4 car lengths up) slammed on their brakes, so I hit my brakes and kept going. I had to pump the brakes, then I had to swerve to the left, and give it a little gas to keep from ramming the guy. Then no problems for a while, and a few weeks ago, was coming to a nice, gradual stop at a stop light, but it didn't stop I kept sliding right through the stop light about 10 ft. I started pumping the brakes, and cutting the wheel left and right (Adds resistance) to keep the car from killing someone. Then, last week, my wife was driving, a car stopped going 35 mph, she tried to stop, couldn't and hit the woman from behind. She is not so quick with the wheel. I took car into dealership, is still under warranty, and they told us nothing is wrong with the car. :rolleyes: So I dunno what to do.

eaglesrealm
11-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Ozoro, forgive me, but something just does not add up. ABS or not, there is no reason that a car coming to a "slow, gradual, stop" should slip to that degree. Equally, a car going 35 MPH stopping should indicate that you were also going 35 MPH or less from behind. Again, you should be able to stop fine in most conditions if you (in this case, your wife) were not tailgating. Something just is not adding up.

eaglesrealm
11-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Sorry, meant to add earlier that the only other option is something in your base brakes not proportioning correctly, or pads not engaging completely, etc. These are not ABS related (or lack thereof) issues at this point.

brsexton
11-11-2004, 09:19 AM
My 03 Alero don't have ABS and has rear drums, so I have the exact setup you have and I have never experianced this with my car. You should take your car to another dealer.

GaRedCoupe
11-11-2004, 07:23 PM
My 93 SE had ABS I would think that it would be standard on 04s especially when its 11 years newer.

eaglesrealm
11-11-2004, 11:57 PM
GM made a decision a couple years ago to start making ABS optional on some lower end models of cars. Most trucks retain it as standard equipment as do cars above base models. However, the newer GA SE's are optional ABS and TC.

ozorowsky
12-27-2004, 10:59 PM
eagles, your telling me, this is 3rd time this happened. I'm perplexed. Very RARELY happens. I TRULY am perplexed.