Driving Car and It Just DIES [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Driving Car and It Just DIES

GatorMan
11-08-2004, 05:18 AM
Well I was driving my car this morning and everything was going fine when all of the sudden driving like 20-25 the whole car just shuts off. I drift to the side of the road and put my hazards on. I try to crank it but it won't go. I know I have gas in the car because I put in 10 dollars the day before and didnt even drive the car. When I try to crank the car, everything sounds fine...it all sounds like it should before it starts excepts it wont turn over. I don't think it is the alternator. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alex

nd4spd
11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
When you turn your key do hear the fuel pump kick on..?
Mine did the same thing, just dies.

atc3434
11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Wait, it will crank over but the motor won't catch, or it won't turn over at all? Two very different things.

brdrxtreme
11-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Sounds like fuel pump to me, no warning and ur gettin a new one!

GatorMan
11-08-2004, 03:33 PM
well i found out what is was. It was a blown fuse. It was the pcm acc fuse on the drivers side fusebox. That is what I had my amplifier for my subs hooked up to for an acc. It has been hooked up to it for a year a half with no problems and all of the sudden it blew. That caused my whole car to shut down. It sucks though becuase the dealership charged 120 dollars because the "say" it took an hour and a half to find out the problem.
Thanks for the input
Alex

fschambe
11-09-2004, 05:25 AM
so did it not seem odd that at the same time your subs stopped working? I hate to say it but there were a few clues letting you know, and you could have troubleshooted the problem and been on your way... My favorite "I'm so stupid" car problem I had 2 years ago, I was driving a S10 and it was raining... the belt was squealing while accelerating and it was running a little hot, ok belt is wet and slipping, gotta change that when I get home. I was in PA and live in NY so I was prepared to deal with the squealing until I got on the highway where the rev's would keep it going ok. So a little later it gets worse and I decide to investigate... The alternator had snapped off and there was one bold that let it swivel in like a bad tensioner... Luckily there was a NAPA nearby and they had my alternator in stock. I had to buy a new set of wrenches cause mine were all at home in my garage where tools live usually. All this and I had my wife's cousin in the car waiting to get back to brooklyn. She was clueless as it turned out, and thought I was checking my oil or washer fluid.

2002GT
11-09-2004, 05:55 AM
nice to hear you got it fixed...

where in SC are you located?