What a mess I need help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What a mess I need help!

Dominicsgirl
11-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi y'all...I really don't know where to start with this but here goes my list of nasty GA (2000 SE) problems:

My car runs at a really low idle like around 600 rpm's and she's sucking gas up like theres no tomorrow, was real easy on gas when I got her.

ETS and SES Light -- garage told me bearings and would cost me about $400 not including labor?? does this sound right to you??

Then there is my fan the used to only work on 4 and MAX I got it fixed twice and twice it melted the piece that was replaced so now I have no fan.

Of course the AC that mysteriously stopped working one day for no apparent reason....found green liquid under the car in a parking lot...garage told me could find nothing wrong, but back when my fan was working, I could blast AC on high and no temp change.

Brakes seem to need replacing at least ever 10 months or so, I haven't figured out that one yet.

When I try to speed up it sounds like shes really loud like the engine wants to keep reving and not shift

and some advice on air and fuel filters, plugs and wires would be appreciated like when to replace etc).

Anyway could go on all night, I would appreciate any imput on any of these problems, seriously not considering purchasing another one of these, don't get me wrong I LOVE my car, my car just doesn't like me :doh:

GrahamKracka
11-08-2004, 08:51 PM
dunno bout the others...........

but i only idle at around 550-600 or so..i dont thinks its a prob

Dominicsgirl
11-08-2004, 08:56 PM
thanks grahamkracka....but she used to idle higher...seems she's running rough (if that makes any sence)

GrahamKracka
11-08-2004, 08:57 PM
yea then again your are running the 4 banger...that is kinda low

atc3434
11-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Bad driveablility and bad fuel mileage are usually a sign of a sensor going bad somewhere along the line. Any qualified mechanic worth his salt should be able to take a quick ride with an autotap and figure out whats going.
My hub assembly(Wheel bearing) was $180 for the part, so two for $400 is about right, probably at least $100 a side for the install, maybe less depending on your shops labor rate.
For the brakes, GA's are known for not having great brakes, but it really depends on your driving style how fast you'll use them up. Many people seem to brake quite a bit, and go through the pads and rotors at an alarming rate, however, there's a few of us that don't have much trouble. I personally am real easy on the brakes, I'm still on original rotors at 82k and only my second set of pads.
The blower motor resistors a pain, I did mine at 45k, its been fine ever since, not sure if they replaced it with a revised design or not, maybe thats why it blew again. Don't know about the A/C, a shop should be able to test for the correct stuff on that.

Dominicsgirl
11-08-2004, 09:52 PM
atc3434 a big thanks

the price I was quoted for just the drivers side only.
I bought the car with 20,000kms on it. It has 106,000kms now, and I have never changed a plug, wire or the air filter...I can't figure out the whole heater thing either....I live in a smaller community that hasn't much in the way of "top notch" mechanics so I guess I'll have to take her somewhere outta town :)
I'll get my sensors checked

thanks again :)

atc3434
11-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Its probably time for a new everything if she's getting on in miles. Thats 66,250 miles, time I'd say for tranny flush, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, and maybe a fuel system flush if she's still rough after checking out the sensors. $400 for the wheel bearing is outragous if thats just for one, I'd say its time to find another shop. My monies on a bad sensor for the rough idle and bad mileage. Or, possible a fuel filter, those should be replaced every 30k miles. Anyways, good luck, check in often and let us know if we can be of further assistence.

tenspeed
11-08-2004, 11:10 PM
$400 for the wheel bearing is outragous if thats just for one

That's $400 Canadian. You're saying $300 US dollars. I don't know the latest rates but US is usually lower.

atc3434
11-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Still, $300 US for one hub assembly is outrageous.

Intuit57
11-09-2004, 10:40 AM
I paid about $800 Canadian for the 2 hub assemblies/(which includes the sensors) installed. As I've written elsewhere here, that didn't solve the abs/low trac lights...later they found loose wires too!
You said, "When I try to speed up it sounds like shes really loud like the engine wants to keep reving and not shift"
I had this problem, sort of. When my engine was really warmed up, like after highway driving, it would revv and not move when shifting gears....but just from Park or Reverse to Drive. It turned out to be something effed-up in the ValveBody.

You said you found GREEN fluid on the parking lot floor? In the '99+ GA's I thought all the coolant was Orange? I have no idea about the 4cylc though.

Good Luck with everything...like you, my car has had a lot of problems, I was in the dealer under factory warranty about 20 times and then my extended warranty(which just expired from 1sourceautowarranty) paid over $6000 in repairs...so I'd suggest checking out an extended warranty....that warranty company is in the US but sell/cover us Canadians, which others don't. They let you pay in monthly installments and offer zero deductible. I guess it depends how many miles you have on the car. I bought my warranty when I was just about to be out of factory warranty.

Infernall
11-09-2004, 12:16 PM
My fuel filter caused weird idles, poor performance, and terrible milage.

After changing the fuel filter, it was a whole new car. Have mechanics change the fuel filter before checkin the O2 sensors, as the filter is WAY less to replace, and could very well be the cause (Like mine...)

Hodge
11-09-2004, 02:00 PM
i have the 4 cyl its like around 600 where mine idle's that sounds normal, but i also noticed it sucking gas. i'll have to check out the filter though

Dominicsgirl
11-09-2004, 08:57 PM
hodge the pic under your name looks JUST like my car....anyway thanks to all of you..I broke down today and took my car to a new shop, told him to take his time and do it right. Soooo I let you guys know the out-come and the cost. Again thanks a million. :)

Hodge
11-10-2004, 01:52 PM
sweet, did u do anything to it yet? or just getting repaired?

Dominicsgirl
11-10-2004, 09:43 PM
well so far the mechanic says, strut gone, broken spring both on passengers side
hub and bearing assembly drivers side, new heater motor and he is going to "flush everything out" whatever that means .....nahh hodge, just repairs so far...I need some ideas...whatdaya think I should do to her....if I have any money left after this :(

atc3434
11-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Well, at least you'll get all your frontend work done at once, your actually better off that way then having them have to take it apart a bunch of times doing one repair at a time. I replaced a hub assembly, and then had a spring break THE NEXT DAY, what a pain. Good idea on the flush, I assume he's refering to the cooling system. Your defintely due for a fuel filter as well, that should be on your list of things to have fixed while its at the shop.

Dominicsgirl
11-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Well the mechanic couldn't fix the heater, said it kept blowing fuses??? So he has to put a whole new heater console in the car, maybe that will fix the ac too :)
now he's saying the hub and bearing isn't gone....I'm thinking that can't be right, would the ets and abs lights be on for just the strut and spring being broken? Anyway he did get my headlights fixed, mind you it's -6 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground and I have no heated brrrrrrrrr....anyway i'll keep you up to date and thanks for all the posts I appreciate it all :boogie:

carsarecool
11-14-2004, 11:11 PM
wow, that doesnt sound like fun at all, does your car make a lot of creaks and little clunk noises when you first start it up and drive, especially on rough road? mine sounds fine during summer but when its real cold out and the car isnt warmed up yet(or even if the engine is and the wheels/brakes arent) it makes a lot of noise from the front end. im wondering since you said he's doing a bunch of suspension work. also when putting the car in reverse or at real low speed(parking and stuff) i get the "low trac" light (99 SE 4 cyl 86,800 miles) its annoying but not that bad, so il deal with it. alright well hope everything works out

Dominicsgirl
11-14-2004, 11:48 PM
thx carsarecool i hope everything works out too....nah mine doesn't seem to make too much noise...and my darn trac doesn't work anyway so I wouldn't know if trac low comes on........

atc3434
11-15-2004, 12:03 AM
ETS + Trac Off light means your not getting wheel speed signal to the computer from one or more of the wheels. Each hub has a magnetic sensor built into it, which cannot be changed out, if it goes, the whole hubs got to be replaced. So its either the sensor, or the connector, or the wiring. A mechanic can hook up a computer and road test the car to check the sensor on each wheel and see if it reads correctly. So, its either wiring, or a hub assembly, or you have some other problem. Any mechanic with diagnostic computer stuff can read the codes stored in the PCM and see why those lights are being set off, and then figure out and fix the problem. IF you've still got the light, and the strut and spring are ok, you've probably got a sensor headed south. Hope he gets the heat going, thats freak'n cold!

BQfromNY
11-15-2004, 06:00 AM
"Then there is my fan the used to only work on 4 and MAX I got it fixed twice and twice it melted the piece that was replaced so now I have no fan"

=======================

I just bought a 2002 Grand AM GT and my fan only works on 4 or 5.... Did you ever figure out what causes this?

BTarb24
11-15-2004, 09:46 AM
When i did the blower resister replacement i ordered the part from gmpartsdirect.com. The one i receieved in the mail had a coating on the board and had a different rev number than the old nasty fried green one that i pulled out of my 99GT. Im sure it depends on where u get ur part from, but yes, there is a newer revision out there =)

atc3434
11-15-2004, 10:16 AM
"Then there is my fan the used to only work on 4 and MAX I got it fixed twice and twice it melted the piece that was replaced so now I have no fan"

=======================

I just bought a 2002 Grand AM GT and my fan only works on 4 or 5.... Did you ever figure out what causes this?

YEa, there is a revised piece that should work just fine, mines been going for about 1.5 years since I replaced it, without any trouble yet.

carsarecool
11-18-2004, 05:44 PM
some peoples only work on 4 and 5, others work on 3 4 and 5, same w/ mine. is it fixed yet?

ROBzSILVERGT
11-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Hey I just fixed my GAGT '01, I had the same engine problems you described.

In case you have not fixed the issue yet. Here is what happened with my GAGT.

What happened was my Catalytic converter failed due to my coils failing caused by rust in my spark plug wires... We changed the spark plugs (dual plat) and the coils ($43/each) and the Catalytic converter ($300) and the car runs like new!

What a huge struggle to fix this issue. First we thought it was the plugs, then we traced it to the coils, then after replacing both of those components the car ran like it was plugged up w/ no exhaust coming out of my SLP! So we took the car to our local muffler shop and they guys verified that there was 5% coming out of the cat. converter.

Now I remember why I bought this car... it pulls like when I first bought it!

nivek98
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Still, $300 US for one hub assembly is outrageous.

My dealer quoted me 420 bucks for one hub assembly without labor.... and I needed two of them. I bought aftermarket ones for around 120 each, and installed them myself... They come with a one year warranty or 12,000 miles. Good thing too, cuz it seems like an ongoing issue i have had since my car had 80 miles on it.