low temp! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : low temp!

Brad
11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Ok, I am thinking the thermostat needs to be changed, but I'd appreciate some feedback from the forum.
My 2000 GA (V6) runs at normal temp during the summer (180-220), but now that the temps have gotten colder, the car seems to be running much cooler than normal. The temp gauge is just about half way between the 100 and 200 marks, so is about 150 degrees and you have to turn the heater control to full hot to get heat out of the heater.

I am thinking the thermostat is partially blocked open and not allowing the engine to come up to full temperature. I really would like to be warm in the car this winter and I think a thermostat change would be in order. I will likely change the Dexcool out for the Prestone Dexcool equivilent while in there and maybe the hoses as well. What does everyone think? Usually people complain about running too hot.. but too cool??? Weird!
Brad

atc3434
11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Defintely a stuck thermostat. Probably gets warm just sitting still, but once you start moving it cools off.

tranceokido
11-09-2004, 10:30 PM
yeah you now what..I just noticed that myself today on my car too! Damn...well almost 90K and the first engine problem.