Funny Cruise Control? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Funny Cruise Control?

tranceokido
11-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Well this isn't really a problem..it think it is kind of wierd though. Anyone notice if you set your cruise control at the minimum 25mph...then just let it drive for a couple seconds until the trans has setteld to its final gear and ratio...then floor the car. When the car downshifts to first and revs past 4-5K the cruise control disables. At first I thought it was maybe I hit a slick spot of gravel or something and the trac control kicked of the cruise light and disabled it....but the low trac light wasn't on so it couldn't have been the trac control interveening(SP?). I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if you know why it happens? BTW...its a 00' Grand Am GT.

atc3434
11-09-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm sure its the computer going, wow, we shouldn't accelerate this fast with cruise control on, so it kicks off.

tranceokido
11-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Well see the thing is..when I set the cruise at 35 and then just floored it and the car only downshifts to like 2nd...the cruise wouldn't kick off. It only does it in first gear. I found that kind of wierd. I just don't understand why the cruise would even kick off if I am going faster than what it is set at.

Slim
11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I think the cruise control disengages in first gear IIRC.

atc3434
11-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I think the cruise control disengages in first gear IIRC. Me thinks slim is right

tranceokido
11-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Okay so we know that it is normal. Now does anyone know why GM decided to implement this on the GA?

2002AmSE
11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
That is correct, cruise control will turn off in first gear. It turns off when you move the gear selector in first likewise.

atc3434
11-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Probably to avoid jerky throttling with the cruise control and being in first gear. Things happen too fast in first, they don't trust the cruise to keep it smooth in such a low gear.

carsarecool
11-12-2004, 10:41 AM
oh another thing- maybe i shoulda started a different thread for this, but has anybody noticed- if the traction control system engages, the cruise wont work for however long after? i thought somethin was wrong but its happened a bunch of times, il be using cruise all day, then il take off on a spot of wet pavement or spin a little on some gravel, "low trac" light comes on, and when i go to set cruise later it wont come on. you either have to wait or just restart your car. probably another GM safety feature, computer thinks "if the wheels are spinning, cruise shouldnt be on, we should let the driver control acceleration" haha, can be inconvienient sometimes. j/w if anybody noticed this since its not mentioned in the manual.

Molson
11-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Cause its dumb having cruise on in low traction.

Its dumb to want cruise on in first gear.

And its dumb to "floor the car to first gear" Can't wait for the thread "I think my tranny is going" But Age: 17 explains it. You will learn to treat the car better over time, everyone does.