HID's FOR SURE one ques though [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID's FOR SURE one ques though

BadGT471
11-10-2004, 06:40 PM
I am for sure getting HID's this time around! Parents are hooking me up for my birthday. I am going to order a conversion kit. I know that it's illegal, and I am going to take my chances. I will try to aim them perfectly. Actually, I am having a stereo shop install them.. However, does anyone know of a good site to get a good deal on this kit.... I am leaning towards, HELLA... Also, for the DRL's, will I want to disable these? Would i burn out my HID's to have them run like DRL's? Also, where can I get the harnass, or the stuff I need to disable these without throwing a SVS light? Can someone help me out here, or send me some good links?

Thanks,
Jeff

SC/TGrandAm
11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
I dont know links or places as i havent even looked up conversion kits.

But make sure you get HELLA ballasts and Phillips bulbs or you will be sorry this time next year.

DRLS- yes you want to disable them. You dont necessarily have to buy a kit, i disabled mine free on my own without instructions or anything. AFAIK i did something that nobody else on this site has done- made my 194 headlight led bulbs my DRL's. But there is free instructions to disable your DRLs for FREE in the how to section on this site.

Rba007
11-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Id put together your own kit. Just go to ebay and buy hella ballasts, and some phillips bulbs. Be sure thats what you get though....

Also, and this seems to be critical if youre jsut getting a conversion kit, leave that ugly metal shield IN your headlights. Iceman left his in and glare did not seem to be much of a problem.

And the wiring harness, i just went and bought the cheapest set of foglights i could find at autozone, and used the wiring harness for that (plus a 30 fuse).

I had a crapo conversion (Mcchulloch) and i burned it out in 6 months, and blinded everyone and their grandma on the road. Hope thigns go better for you.

Now youll be able to laugh at the fake blue bulb homo's, but the projector fellas will be able to laugh at you... bwaahahaha.

Rba007
11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
BTW, youll also want the ballast covers so your ballasts done short out on your chassis. AND, they protect them pretty well. They can be found at Hidplanet (http://www.hidplanet.com/oem.html)

You can also buy ballasts and bulbs there. And if you hunt around, they have a sweet forum dedicated to all things HID. Check it out.

SC/TGrandAm
11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Now youll be able to laugh at the fake blue bulb homo's, but the projector fellas will be able to laugh at you... bwaahahaha.

Thats the best part LMAO. I laugh at all the "cool" blue bulb homo's before but after having true HID's i guess i can say i have a right to now. I wont laugh at anybody for having HID's projectors or reflectors as long as its done correctly. I wont shun him for buying a conversion kit but he already knows thats not the best form of HID out there.

But yeah what dave said, definately get the ballast covers or you will have to cover the ballasts in e-tape. A wiring harness is a plus, you can do what dave said or you can make your own with some wire, a relay and an inline fuse. Definately keep the bulb shields in and hope that the stereo shop you are getting them installed at has had previous experiences with negative switched headlights or its going to be one big PITA.

Hodge
11-10-2004, 08:25 PM
SC/T, you should put a HOW-TO on the 194's as drls. i'd love that :D

BadGT471
11-11-2004, 08:08 AM
I am going to order a quit today... Do I want the 9007 conversion kit? That is the right one, right? Also, will the balasts just fit in where my regular halogen bulbs are at? Also, besides blinding everyone, what advantages does one with projectors have over someone with just a conversion kit? Will my HID's be as bright as someone with projectors or no? I don't know much about these so any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

BadGT471
11-11-2004, 08:11 AM
hey guys, I think I'm just going to do this possibly and get the projectors. How much of a hassle and how long would it take to put the projectors in???? Check this out.. would this be a nice set? It's off of HIDplanet.com

http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html

Rba007
11-11-2004, 08:52 AM
That would be an excellent package, but you really need to search around a LOT before you buy anything. It really sounds like you dont know much about HID (the comment asking about if your ballasts fit where your bulbs go made up my mind on that one).

Ballasts go either behind your headlight in your fender, or in the engine compartment. They get the power, and a cord attaches the ballast to the bulb in your headlight.

Youd need 9007 rebased phillips bulbs if you just did a conversion "kit", and thats gonna be just about impossible to find.

To do projectors, again, do a search for threads by myself, SCT, and iceman. Myself and SCt have done the project, and iceman got a good start on his. Its a very loonnnngggg process, takes a lot of time and hard work, and materials.

Definitely do a lot of reading before you run out and buy something though. THere's a lot of info here, but a lot more at hidplanet. Please check that out and get back here with questions, or feel free to email me at davevanderlaan@hotmail.com, or AIM: davevanderlaan.

GaRedCoupe
11-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Not all of us have 300 to 1k to throw away on HIDS

Rba007
11-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Mmmmmk. Ive already spoken to him via email, im just tryin to help the fella. Calm yourself. :violin

BadGT471
11-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Well, I ordered a HID kit... Looked around quite a bit ton and talked to a few people. I ordered from Xenondepot.com and I got the 6000K conversion kit with Philips Ultinon bulbs and ballasts. I was debating between the 4100K and the 6000K... I really like the pure white, however, I wanted that "blue" tint to it... I have a guy down the road from me that said that if I don't like the 6000 K he will buy it off of me for sure because he has those GAY bulbs in his 05 WRX and wnats the blue HIDS, so thats cool. However, heres ONE question I couldn't find. If in fact I don't like the look of those Ultinon bulbs, can I purchase some 4300K pure white ones as long as they are rebassed philips and fit? Would that work in my kit or no??? Thats the one thing I am unsure about.. Also, will the 6000K be really blue, or is it more white with a blueish tint? Will it be hard to see, or will everything light up totally blue and be difficult to see? Help me out, because I can still change my order.

Thanks,
Jeff

BadGT471
11-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Well, I ordered a HID kit... Looked around quite a bit ton and talked to a few people. I ordered from Xenondepot.com and I got the 6000K conversion kit with Philips Ultinon bulbs and ballasts. I was debating between the 4100K and the 6000K... I really like the pure white, however, I wanted that "blue" tint to it... I have a guy down the road from me that said that if I don't like the 6000 K he will buy it off of me for sure because he has those GAY bulbs in his 05 WRX and wnats the blue HIDS, so thats cool. However, heres ONE question I couldn't find. If in fact I don't like the look of those Ultinon bulbs, can I purchase some 4300K pure white ones as long as they are rebassed philips and fit? Would that work in my kit or no??? Thats the one thing I am unsure about.. Also, will the 6000K be really blue, or is it more white with a blueish tint? Will it be hard to see, or will everything light up totally blue and be difficult to see? Help me out, because I can still change my order.

Thanks,
Jeff

Rba007
11-12-2004, 11:04 AM
You can just order the 4300k capsules from xenondepot if you dont like the ultinons, they are interchangeable.

Everything wont light up all blue like the gay fake blue bulbs most people have in their civics and such, youll like it.

Rba007
11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Also, like i suggested several times last evening when we chatted, if you want to see 6000k, do a search here.

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
BTW, youll also want the ballast covers so your ballasts done short out on your chassis. AND, they protect them pretty well. They can be found at Hidplanet (http://www.hidplanet.com/oem.html)

You can also buy ballasts and bulbs there. And if you hunt around, they have a sweet forum dedicated to all things HID. Check it out.

Yeah yeah, I know, Im digging up an old thread, but it was the only one I could find. Anyone know more about these ballast covers? Will they work for different ballasts? I realize the dimensions will have to be roughly the same, and the holes for cables may need enlarged, but anyone use these or similar ones?

pyro
09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
i just wrapped mine in foam wrap...keeps them insulated and protected from the elements...should be about the same...i got some pilot hids and the ballasts dont fit inside those tho.

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Im not too worried about the elements, its shorting out that worries me. When Wiring them up I found on in a hurry that the ballast case itself will ground out and blow the fuse... which doesnt make any sense. Something like that, that has a case, or cover shouldn't conduct any electricty, or if it is conductive, atleast should be insulated on the inside to protect the internals. Im going to have to get some measurements of my ballasts when I get home. I dont want to drop $40 on them and they not fit... Might have to go to the hobby shop and get some styrene and make my own boxes....

Or anyone know where I could get different ballast boxes?

My ballasts came with brackets to hold them, but they will ground on on them.... I guess I could get some of that plasi-dip, or whatever its called for coating the handles of tools in rubber. I could use that to coat the brackets, then slide the ballasts in, should work no problem then, assuming they will still fit in the bracket after it has a layer of rubber on it....

pyro
09-18-2006, 02:45 PM
just wrap them in foam wrap... itl cost you a buck if that to buy some

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
just wrap them in foam wrap... itl cost you a buck if that to buy some

Problem is, fter they are in foam, theres no way to mount them. I have them working fine the way they are, but the drivers side one is temp. mounted on top of the battery with double sided tape. Its not going anywhere, put 400mi on the car yesterday with it on there, so Its good until I get it mounted, but dont want it to stay there. The bracket is in place beside the battery, but it grounds out on it. the passenger side one is mounted fine in its bracket and gave me no troubles. I tried a few different things, and the bracket would cut through the foam, or tape, or watever i used. I think Im going to pick up a thing of this plastic-dip stuff. should solve my problem.

Oh well, these bi-xenons are awesome though otehr than this little set back.

pyro
09-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Problem is, fter they are in foam, theres no way to mount them. I have them working fine the way they are, but the drivers side one is temp. mounted on top of the battery with double sided tape. Its not going anywhere, put 400mi on the car yesterday with it on there, so Its good until I get it mounted, but dont want it to stay there. The bracket is in place beside the battery, but it grounds out on it. the passenger side one is mounted fine in its bracket and gave me no troubles. I tried a few different things, and the bracket would cut through the foam, or tape, or watever i used. I think Im going to pick up a thing of this plastic-dip stuff. should solve my problem.

Oh well, these bi-xenons are awesome though otehr than this little set back.
put them up on the sides of the enginebay...there are multiple holes to run zipties though...ill take pics tonite...on the driversside it will fit snugly between the enginebay and the battery, i cut the liner a bit to fit it in there better.

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 03:24 PM
put them up behind the headlights on the bars...just ziptie them in...thats what most people do for mounting. inside the enginebay they will get too much heat and burn out faster. trust me...

Even relocated to there I will need to do something to keep them from ground, I think. Not sure I want to trust only zip ties to hold them on. As far as heat goes... I dont know, alot of cars, other brands included run the ballasts in the engine bay with no problems.... If they are on the bars, I would think they would get covered in road debris... I will have too look into it more I guess. First Mission it to coat the brackets to they are non-conductive, then I will see about relocating them to the bars inside the fender.

I was worried I they would get to hot during my 6+ hr drive last night, so I took stock bulbs with me. The ballasts have an auto shutoff if the temp reaches ~105 degrees. I stopped once to get gas, and once to eat, and neither time were the ballast close to being that hot.

pyro
09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Even relocated to there I will need to do something to keep them from ground, I think. Not sure I want to trust only zip ties to hold them on. As far as heat goes... I dont know, alot of cars, other brands included run the ballasts in the engine bay with no problems.... If they are on the bars, I would think they would get covered in road debris... I will have too look into it more I guess. First Mission it to coat the brackets to they are non-conductive, then I will see about relocating them to the bars inside the fender.

I was worried I they would get to hot during my 6+ hr drive last night, so I took stock bulbs with me. The ballasts have an auto shutoff if the temp reaches ~105 degrees. I stopped once to get gas, and once to eat, and neither time were the ballast close to being that hot.
which is why i changed my post, seeing as how you dont plan on buying the covers...the zipties will hold them perfectly, just buy some foam warp, ive said it 100 times. its cheap and gets the job done. or you can wrap the ballasts in electrical tape if you feel so, ive seen it done and it works, just make sure you ziptie it into a place it wont slide or youll cut through the tape and ground out again.

Kdawg207
09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
zip tied mine - fine for ever

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Ill give it a go and see what happens, thats why they build them with fuses inline anyway....

As for foam wrap, you mean the like foam packaging wrap? not bubble wrap i know, but the other crap?

pyro
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
its foam wrap...comes in black usually with stickey backing...peel off the paper and it sticks for good.

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
its foam wrap...comes in black usually with stickey backing...peel off the paper and it sticks for good.

Interesting, any idea on where to look for this? Walmart?

pyro
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM
should have it there...home depot.. check your garage, thats where i found mine.

Mirage85
09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
should have it there...home depot.. check your garage, thats where i found mine.

Not going to find it in my garage, Possibly my paraents garage, but not mine. I will give a look tomorrow after work. thanks.

Mirage85
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Well last weekend I got some of the plastic-dip, they had it in cans to dip it and in spray cans. I got the spray kind and put a couple coats on the ballast brackets. That is some tough stuff once it dries, just like what comes on the handles of tools from the store. I reloacted the one ballast I had on the battery, and it no longer grounds out.