trouble with headlamp and foglamp replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : trouble with headlamp and foglamp replacement

DevilSlayer
11-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Ok, one headlamp and one foglamp just went out. Decided to replace all 4 with sylvannia cool blue ultra brights. Got the headlamp assembly out, took out the old blubs, but for some reason I can't get the new blubs to stay in place, they dont come completely out, but the blubs angle so that the light points up into the air and not towards the road. My father was the last person to replace the bulbs, but hes currently stationed in Pakistan so its kinda hard for him to help.

How do I lock the headlamp bulbs in place. Theres this black plastic thing around it but it doesn't seem to help, or do anything for that matter. As for the fog lamps, do I have to completely remove the foglamp assembly to replace the bulb?

And while were talking about headlights. The glass on my right headlamp is getting hazzy, and now the left one is starting to haze. Do I have to replace the glass or is there a way to clean it? If I have to replace it where can I get the replacement parts?

Rba007
11-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Did you put the headlight retainer ring (the plastic thingy, its fragile) on after placing the bulb in the hole, then turn the retainer ring? It locks itself in place.

Also just a tip, while youve got em out, bring back the cool blues and get silverstars. Youll see a difference, that you wouldnt with the cool blues.

Foglights, its been a LONG time since ive touched stock fogs, but i believe you just have to reach up behind the fog, grab the bulb base, and twist. It should come out.

Hazing: First, your lenses are plastic. Is it a condensation, or like someone peed on it type of haze (not that id know what that looks like...)? If its condensation, do a search and youll find the answer. If its haze, youll have to get some plastic cleaner (mothers has some good products) and buff that mo fo till its clear again.

Hope that helped!

UNCTYPE-S
11-11-2004, 10:08 PM
why post in 2 different sections

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43800

DevilSlayer
11-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Sorry, tried to delete that post. I felt it was more appropriate for this forum.

As for the retainer ring. Yes I put it in, but it doesn't help at all. I think the retainer ring may be broken. Maybe duct tape? lol Just need something to keep it from moving around. Maybe I should use electrical tape instead?

Unfortuneately, all of my local autopart stores don't sell the silverstars or were out of them and were unsure when their next shipment of them would come in. One headlight went out and the other is begining to dim, so I need the bulbs now. The Cool Blues are significantly better then the ones I had before. These are fine for now. I'll remember to get silverstars next time they go out.

The yellow haze is on the inside and you can't remove the lens from what I've read. I'm probably gonna just order replacements.

Love my GT
11-12-2004, 10:22 PM
I just replaced mine with Silverstars and it took a little bit for me to figure out how to put the bulb back in. If you look in the hole where the bulb goes you will see like 3 tabs sticking out. These 3 tabs are not evenly spaced it is just a matter of turning the bulb until the tabs are lined up correctly. The retainers might be broke. My drivers side was broke and I didn't even know it. I used electrical tape to hold it in place figuring this would be easier to remove than duct tape.

crazypontiac03
11-12-2004, 11:13 PM
*offtopic*I didnt feel like making another thread about something to do with the headlamps anyway here is the issue. I replaced my stock bulbs with some silverstar's however i knocked them out of alingment bad! I got it close to where isnt blinding people using the garage door. But it is still way off. Where can i get them realinged to be 100% true? Rather not go to the dealer.. Any Idea's?

Rba007
11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Sure you got all THREE aimers in their slots? Its awefully easy to miss the bottom one, and your headlights will be pretty high because of it.

crazypontiac03
11-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Ya im sure, i even pulled on the headlight to make sure it wasnt out, But its in.

AznGA
11-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Did you turn the little gold rod?

crazypontiac03
11-13-2004, 12:22 AM
yea, But i cant get it exactly right. I moved them some how when i put the vinyl overlays on.

Rba007
11-13-2004, 11:05 AM
The headlight wont budge as long as the top two aimers are in. Take the headlight out, and watch that lower aimer to be 100% positive it goes in.

crazypontiac03
11-13-2004, 11:17 AM
The lower aimer towards the side of the car or towards the turn signals?

Rba007
11-13-2004, 12:01 PM
There are turn signals on both sides, but the lower aimer toward the outside of the car.

crazypontiac03
11-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Sorry, thats what i meant to say... I'll look at that today.. But if i need them to get alinged where should i go, if i cant get it my self

Rba007
11-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Take it to a dealer, theyll have the little tool. But really, im 99.98% sure thats your problem. The bulb may be sitting in the housing funny and throwing off your beam pattern, but id guess your third aimer just isnt in there. Its a VERY easy mistake to make.