Car was running great - now it won't Start!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car was running great - now it won't Start!!

kaso
11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey guys and gals...

I have a 1999 Grand Am GT w/ about 109,000 kms on it. So tonight I had to give my brother a ride home, total trip took about 25 minutes. The car was running great but about 2 blocks from home the ABS light came on and stayed on.

So I got it home and parked in the back yard and when I shut the car off the ABS light went out but the battery and the oil light came on and wouldn't go out. So I tried to turn the car on again to see what the hell was going on and the car won't start now!!

If I turn the key to Acc, all the lights light up and the battery indicator shows that there is juice in the battery, but when I go to turn the car over it seems to try for about a second and then quits. I am thinking it is the alternator, but it seems weird since it happens so quickly.

Oh and once I let go of the key, all the lighs (interior and exterior) flash, the doors unlock and the trunk opens.... what is that all about?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kyle

Braves299
11-12-2004, 12:13 AM
its most likely the altenator.. that is the heart of your car and will do some crazy stuff to it (make diff. lights come on). I'd be willing to bet thats what it is.

DevilSlayer
11-12-2004, 12:44 AM
I had a similar problem. But I think my alternator was slowly dying. Before I got it replaced, my ABS, Brake, and Oil warning lights would come on. Eventually my battery died and was replcaed, at this point I suspected something was wrong with my alternator. While I was driving in the middle of the night, 50 miles from home, it completely died.

What it sounds like to me is that your alternator has been dying and when the alternator can't provide enough power it draws from the battery. Your alternator died on the way back. Even if the alternator is dead, the car can still start up and run from the battery. I don't think the battery is dead, but it might be weak enough that it can't turn over the engine, but it can still do the lights and stuff.

Try putting in a new battery and see if it starts up. I was able to drive from the gas station back to home (40 miles) running on just the battery, no stereo, no fog lights. So you should have enough juice to get to a shop and have them replace the alternator if you don't know how to do it yourself.

kaso
11-12-2004, 08:27 AM
So I got up this morning and tried the car. Started up fine. So I started off for work.

During the drive the ABS light came on again, but I continued my drive to work. When I got to work I parked and shut off the vehicle. And just for kicks I tried to start the car immediately - only to find the car was dead as a door nail.

From reading the posts here and seeing how the car is acting today I have to assume that it is the alternator. So I will let the car sit the day and hopefully the battery will find enough juice in 8 hours to turn the car over and let me get it home (which is much closer to my mechanic).

Thanks for the insight guys!

kaso
11-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Just thought I would post an update here to let anybody with the same symptoms know what my problems was.

It turned out to be just a bad connection at the battery. One of the posts was loose.

My mechanic thinks that the ABS light kept coming on b/c the alternator was sending too much power out since it couldn't charge the battery properly.

So it only cost me $50.00 for the tow... no parts, no labour... gotta love that!!

DevilSlayer
11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
-_- You've gotta be kidding me

I will keep this problem in mind.

Glowin02Alero
11-14-2004, 11:29 PM
my friend has an 01 GAGT and his security light was on all the time and one time his car didn't start ( i had to pick him up) and what ended up being the problem was a malfunction in the anti-theft device in the car (GM Passlock) and it wasn't allowing his car to start because it was thinking it was being stolen...it cost about $300 or so to have fixed...it was so messed up!