?Sunroof Adjustment? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ?Sunroof Adjustment?

BTarb24
11-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I got into my 99 grand am GT today and when i closed my door i heard a rattle, so of course i opened and closed the door until i discovered why. My sunroof was only partially closed. I opened and closed the sunroof multiple times but strangely it seems that one side is a couple notches further up the rail than the other. As a result one side of the glass closes before the other by about a half an inch.

I searched the forums for ways of adjusting the factory sunroof. The only thing i could find was loosening all 6 of the hex screws but that only adjusts it up and down. I need to adjust one side forward about a half an inch.

Here are some pics to show you what i am experiencing. The motor moves fine and isnt sluggish at all. It seems to be just misaligned. Any suggestions on how to realign it are welcome.

This first pic shows the gap that it has on the passenger side when the drivers side is already touching the front of the roof.
:Reference pic 1:

this one shows the sunroof closed. Since the passenger side is a half inch behind, it sticks up in the air when it is fully closed.
:Reference pic 2:

this one just shows the rail on the passenger side. Those 3 screws are just to adjust it up and down, not forward like i need. Rightmost screw was stuck so i sprayed penetrating oil.. in case u were wondering what the goo looking stuff was.
:Reference pic 3:

BTarb24
11-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Anyone ever had the same problem or have ideas?

juanvan
11-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Humm that sounds like it could be something wrong with the track..
There are wires that move the on a track to open. It could be that one of the wires got bunched up or that a pully is bad/broken. But the only way to find out is to take down the headliner and look at the wires. its a suck job too..

BTarb24
11-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok, since no one seemed to know how to do this i just went out and ripped everything apart to try and figure it out. I managed to get it without too much trouble once i had the headliner down. Here are some pics on how to do it in case anyone else has the same problem someday.

Before you start you need to open the sunroof as far as the button will allow you. Once opened you need to take off the molding that goes around the inside of the sunroof hole. It is just friction fit so to do so you simply pull it firmly from where it starts.
:Reference pic 1:

After removing the molding you then pull the plastic off the A-pillar. Each pillar has 2 clips. To remove you just pull firmly on the entire piece of plastic from the top and they will pop free.
Now you must remove the visors. The swing arm side has two screws. The clip side has a clip in the back that you must slide downward with a flat screwdriver and then it will just pull out.

Once the headliner is free you can now see the sunroof motor.
:Reference pic 2:

The motor has 3 screws holding it up.
:Reference pic 3:

Unscrew the 3 screws and you will see the gears of the motor.
:Reference pic 4:

These two thick threaded wires are what actually move the sunroof. When the gear spins it pulles each wire from the copper housings and pushes them into the white plastic sleeves. This action pulls the sunroof glass since it is connected to the threaded cords.
:Reference pic 5:

To correct the misalignment you must have your sunroof all the way open as stated before. Once the motor is lowered by removing the 3 screws you then just push your sunroof open with your hands. It really is as simple as pushing it open as far as you can on each side. Make sure both sides are as far as they can go. Now all you have left to do is put the motor back on and try closing the sunroof. It should close perfectly now. If not simply repeat and make minor adjustments until everyhting is even.

Note: The sunroof motor has a timing system. you HAVE to make sure that the sunroof will not open any further by using the button before you start. If you only press the button long enough for it to open half way and then lower the motor and force it open the rest of the way you will have knocked the timing off by whatever distance the gap was. Just make sure that you have pressed the button as much as possible before starting and you will be fine.

iceman
11-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Please don't hotlink thumbnailed images... edit the posts and number the pics or somethin plz :)

BTW

great info. that red knob shown on the one pic will also turn the motor if you stick an allen wrench in it.

BTarb24
11-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Sorry, i didnt know how to upload them here without creating thumbnails. How do i remove the thumbs?

Yea that will turn the motor but i only wanted one side of the sunroof to move so that wasnt a good solution for me. It is good to know tho =)