Transmission shifting hard [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission shifting hard

kory kreisler
11-15-2004, 08:25 AM
This past weekend I replaced the lower Intake Gasket in my 2001 grand am GT, when I started it up to test drive it ran good but the check engine light was on, when I took it out on the road it shifted like I had my foot to the floor slamming hard through the gears. Is there some connector that I may have forgot to reconnect that may be causing this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kory

MetaGTP1
11-15-2004, 08:42 AM
This past weekend I replaced the lower Intake Gasket in my 2001 grand am GT, when I started it up to test drive it ran good but the check engine light was on, when I took it out on the road it shifted like I had my foot to the floor slamming hard through the gears. Is there some connector that I may have forgot to reconnect that may be causing this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KoryCheck you TPS and the attached wiring. That is one of the items that can produce hard shifting.

kory kreisler
11-16-2004, 07:08 AM
I checked the connections to the TPS and they are pluged in ok. Is it possible that I ruined the TPS somehow while I was removing throttle cables from the unit? Unless someone put a shift kit in the car when I wasn't looking I still have a problem...

MetaGTP1
11-16-2004, 07:54 AM
I checked the connections to the TPS and they are pluged in ok. Is it possible that I ruined the TPS somehow while I was removing throttle cables from the unit? Unless someone put a shift kit in the car when I wasn't looking I still have a problem...Did you trace the wiring from the TPS and check for damage? Replace the TPS with a new unit and see if that solves your problem.

Hexx
11-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Is your MAF sensor plugged in??? I know I forgot to plug mine in once (for like a day) and it shifted REALLLLLY hard and horrible. Bad times :(

eaglesrealm
11-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Also check for IAT wiring/connection/switch issues. Just had this issue :) AutoZone read the code for ya???

kory kreisler
11-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I finally made it home before the parts store closed last night and bought a new TPS installed the new unit and the tranny shifts like it should. I must have somehow damaged the old TPS when I was removing the cables from the other side. Thank you all for the input!

Kory Kreisler

MetaGTP1
11-30-2004, 10:06 PM
I finally made it home before the parts store closed last night and bought a new TPS installed the new unit and the tranny shifts like it should. I must have somehow damaged the old TPS when I was removing the cables from the other side. Thank you all for the input!

Kory KreislerI'm glad we could help. :)