Low engine coolant light problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low engine coolant light problem

chipontiac20
11-15-2004, 06:23 PM
My engine coolant light will every so often flash on for like 5 seconds and then back off randomly as I drive around. I would say bad sensor except for these two things: it started happening right after I installed my CAI and my running engine temperature rose from 200 to 205 (although that seems small it could make a difference to the sensor).

Ridenour
11-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Well first of all check your coolant. It may just need to be topped off. Or, it could be your LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gasket. There's a couple threads on the LIM issue, just search. If it's your LIM, your in for a bad time. But I would start by adding some coolant to your coolant resevoir and see if that fixes it. When the same thing happened to me, it turns out it was just my coolant being a little low. Hopefully it's the same for you.

coupe
11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
I can tell ya right now there is a 99.9% chance it is your LIM........your gonna have a bad time.

rizer
11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
I can tell ya right now there is a 99.9% chance it is your LIM........your gonna have a bad time.

Bad time and 500+ less bucks in your wallet:)

chipontiac20
11-15-2004, 10:30 PM
thank god my dad is a mechanic, free fixing!

chipontiac20
11-16-2004, 04:47 PM
ok checked it and my coolant is ridiculously low, even below the cold line when the engine is warm. Makes me think theres a leak.

rizer
11-16-2004, 05:09 PM
yuppers, probally 75% of people here have dealt with the famous leak i bet.

Your lucky your dads a mechanic ;)

I got lucky and mine was replaced 3k miles before i purchased it

chipontiac20
11-16-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm just going to fill up the coolant and go from there, I mean it does say on the cap that the coolant needs to be changed every 5 years. I havent even had the car for two, so for all I know it had low coolant the entire time because I have never checked it. Also the person who had it before me could have had that problem fixed, lots of I dont knows, so do the cheap fixes first and work my way up.