Bad Wheel Bearings [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Wheel Bearings

statureman
11-15-2004, 11:51 PM
I just had to replace 3 wheel bearings in the past 5000mi. My gt has about 105k on it, and I was totally surprised when my mechanic called me and told me the warning light was not a bad speed sensor but 2 bad wheel bearings! AARG!!! I had just had them looked at not too long ago either.

Have any of you had any problems like this? and if so what else may go wrong that is related to it?

AaronGAGT
11-16-2004, 02:22 AM
Hmm... my 2000 has about 95k on it. I think the front, driver's side bearing is going bad because its humming real bad, but when i turn right, then hum goes away a lot.

Are these the right symptoms of bad bearings?
Should I replace both fronts?
How easy is this and how much are they??

atc3434
11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
I paid $185 for the hub assembly, its the whole bearing and wheel speed sensor in one unit. The humming that goes away when turning is defintely a wheel bearing. As far as when to replace it, if it starts throwing the ABS and TRAC OFF lights, you'll know its getting pretty bad. I had a noise one like that on a car once that I put 40k miles on after it started making the noise, never did change it. I guess it really depends on how much the noise bothers you. Of course, if the bearing starts to get sloppy at all, replace it!

Stautureman- I've replaced both front hub assemblies and I'm only at 84k, so I don't think you'e had anything un-ordinary happen. The factory wheel bearing on the GA just don't hold up great, some people have had them replaced under warrenty they've worn out so fast.

juanvan
11-16-2004, 09:18 AM
If you are getting bad bearings, get the OEM ones! I went threw 4 thats right 4 rear bearings aftermarket bearings for a cadi in 2 weeks! got the OEM one and replaced no problems 1yr later...

Yes those are the symptoms AaronGAGT ~ up to you if you want to replace both at the same time ~ but I only change them as needed

AaronGAGT
11-16-2004, 03:31 PM
:( My sensors are fine and Im not throwing any lights. I still have to buy the entire thing?!

atc3434
11-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Still gotta buy the whole thing, its a non-serviceable unit. I bought the cheap aftermarket bear, went bad in 2 days, bought the expensive once, BSA, no problems since.

chipontiac20
11-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I got the same problem, it hums when I turn left and makes alittle noise when I go straight almost none when I turn right. My question is which wheel bearing is the problem, I say the drivers side my dad says passenger, any ideas anyone?

Amber99ga
11-16-2004, 04:53 PM
I've had 3 go bad in my car just replaced the left front last weekend. The other 2 were fixed last winter. Usually you can tell where the humming is comming from at least I definatly could. Usually its easiest to tell where the noise is comming from when your making a stop, thats when it seemed the loudest to me at least.

chipontiac20
11-16-2004, 05:00 PM
yea it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side and my dad argues that means the problem is on the passenger side, I although think that if it comes from driver side it is the drivers side.

Pacman
11-16-2004, 06:01 PM
<~~ having same problem :nono:

Amber99ga
11-16-2004, 08:33 PM
in my experience its the side that it sounds like its comming from. good news for me only one left to go bad :/

Coop
11-17-2004, 04:16 PM
yea it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side and my dad argues that means the problem is on the passenger side, I although think that if it comes from driver side it is the drivers side.
Let him drive and you sit in the passenger seat and then see which side it's coming from. :D Chances are if ones bad the other's not far behind, something like that I'd do in pairs anyway.

AaronGAGT
11-17-2004, 07:44 PM
What do wheel bearings look like... or at least the part im supposed to buy. I wanna make sure i can actually do this on my own. Anyone have any pics or descriptions?

eaglesrealm
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
The wheel bearing/hub assy includes the wheel speed sensor also. Basically, if you removed your tire, brake caliper and rotor...the next thing you would see would be the bearing assembly with the standard 5 threaded studs that your lug nuts thread down on.

The wheel bearing is held on in the rear to the CV joint with 3 bolts and held onto the axle with one very large nut on the front side. You can borrow the socket for the front nut from Autozone. Once you have all of this removed, you can then lightly tap back and forth to break the old bearing free from the axle and slide it off. They make a bearing puller tool, but I could not find one to rent/borrow.

AaronGAGT
11-18-2004, 07:28 PM
The wheel bearing/hub assy includes the wheel speed sensor also. Basically, if you removed your tire, brake caliper and rotor...the next thing you would see would be the bearing assembly with the standard 5 threaded studs that your lug nuts thread down on.

The wheel bearing is held on in the rear to the CV joint with 3 bolts and held onto the axle with one very large nut on the front side. You can borrow the socket for the front nut from Autozone. Once you have all of this removed, you can then lightly tap back and forth to break the old bearing free from the axle and slide it off. They make a bearing puller tool, but I could not find one to rent/borrow.

thanks man... that helps!

How expensive is the expensive one??

eaglesrealm
11-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I bought an aftermarket one from Autozone for about $110 I believe. This was a few weeks ago. It got rid of the humming I was hearing and fixed my ABS/TC light.

Coop
11-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Damn, what ever happened to going to the autoparts store with a bearing in your hand and pulling one off the shelf with the same number on it (and a good brand name), paying $5 for it, and packing the grease in by hand. I think I'm gonna stick with my old cars :D

PBGas
11-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for this great thread, Folks! I hear not as much a humming but more a mild scraping sound. It is coming from the right wheel for sure. I took the wheel off last week and took off the caliper to make sure it wasn't anything brake related. All was fine.

I am positive it is the bearing assembly now.

Oh well.....it isn't that bad of a noise and there haven't been any codes thrown yet. My wife doesn't drive long distances so hopefully it'll last through the winter and I can change it up in the spring.

Pacman
11-21-2004, 02:48 PM
I hear not as much a humming but more a mild scraping sound

mine is doing the exact same thing. it sounds like a scraping/vibrating kinda sound in the right wheel

Coop
11-21-2004, 02:52 PM
straight from the factory manual if it helps any

Pacman
11-21-2004, 02:53 PM
actually that does help. looks like i'll be doing this soon. thanks :)

Brad
11-21-2004, 11:10 PM
According to the repair procedure posted, you have to pull the front half-shaft to do this? Can you leave the shaft in place and just pull the bearing out and slide the new one back onto the half-shaft splines and tighten it back up? Maybe I'm missing something here.
Brad

eaglesrealm
11-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Just take off the brakes and rotors and then take out the 3 bolts from the back and slide it off the axle.

Also, it is MUCH easier to break the axle nut off with the tire still on. The socket will fit through the hole on your rim if you take the plastic cap out.

Coop
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, you probably don't have to remove halfshafts, they probably just say that as a precaution so they don't get overextended/damaged. As long as you're careful and don't "force" anything it shouldn't be an issue.

juanvan
11-22-2004, 04:08 PM
If you are having problems getting the bearing out with the nut off and the bolt out from behind it. Use a puller!!!! And push the axle in, if it looks like the bearing is stuck in the casting then get a pry bar in there or something, and break it free.

Brad
11-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks! I didn't mean to jump in here and hijack the thread. My front bearings are starting to make a little noise and I'm sure I'm going to have to do this in the near future. I appreciate the info.
Brad