SC/T hood and rain. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SC/T hood and rain.

AznGA
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
To people who got SC/T hood as a factory option-

Does water ever go though those front vents during rain or carwash? I heard they are supposed to be held by epoxy AND screws. But my bodyshop only used screws. I was wondering if epoxy can prevent water from going through.

SC/TGrandAm
11-18-2004, 06:12 PM
just use a bead of silicone on the inside of the hood if you want it completely sealed off.

RedGrandTour
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
With just the screws and no glue the water would wet the battery and Ram Air shield. I had to glue them again because high speed driving forced the passenger side plate off. I would find it hanging by one screw over the belt. I think its safer to either remove them or glue them with the screws.

Esco301
11-19-2004, 11:07 AM
off topic... I have just the grille insterts.. Anybody putting the plates back in for winter?

tjc13
11-19-2004, 11:33 AM
I put the plates back in for winter. I don't want to see what salt water does to an engine bay... Remember to be careful when putting the screws back in the hood, it's easy to strip fiberglass.

AznGA
11-19-2004, 01:46 PM
With just the screws and no glue the water would wet the battery and Ram Air shield. I had to glue them again because high speed driving forced the passenger side plate off. I would find it hanging by one screw over the belt. I think its safer to either remove them or glue them with the screws.
High speed driving takes the screws out that holds the plate?

GrahamKracka
11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
i only have the grill...nothing really seals mine

CoopGT
11-20-2004, 07:45 AM
I put the plates back in for winter. I don't want to see what salt water does to an engine bay... Remember to be careful when putting the screws back in the hood, it's easy to strip fiberglass.

*iagree*

RedGrandTour
11-20-2004, 09:40 AM
High speed driving takes the screws out that holds the plate?

It did with my hood. The passenger side plate would attempt to push into the engine bay only after driving on the highway 80mph and up. The screw won't hold the plate anymore.

SilverEcstasy
11-20-2004, 11:56 AM
My scoops are open all year round, no problem.

xxbackhillxx
11-20-2004, 11:59 AM
mikey how is your engine bay during the winter?? this is going to be my first winter with them open. if its dirty in the spring im going to be cool like nikki and get a sponsorship from danase so they can detail my car.

crazypontiac03
11-20-2004, 12:12 PM
My hood is open year round. No water really gets in mine either. I dont think it would matter much with the salt getting in there. unless of course your followin a salt truck. But the salt will get in ur engine my regardless its open at the bottom.

SC/T02
11-20-2004, 01:34 PM
my back plates were only held on with a rubber gasket and two screws. I have an 02' with the dealer installed factory option. I take the plates off for better cooling of the engine, and in the winter time I put them back on. With the plate on I do get drips but it does not really get wet.

SilverEcstasy
11-20-2004, 02:15 PM
My engine bay gets DIRTY with salt and snow all year round but i've yet to have any problems. I've driven to indiana for 5 hours at 90 mph with Alex (viper) with my hood closed and still the entire engine bay got dirty. No problems so far though!