Blown low-beam [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blown low-beam

IanGT99
11-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Hey all, I have a low-beam headlight that is out on the left side. I have the GE Super Blue bulbs and they're less than 2 years old. The high beams work just fine, but it's just the low beam that is out. I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of a headlight bulb, so do they have two filaments (one for low and one for high)? Do I have to get a whole new bulb?

Rba007
11-19-2004, 10:34 AM
yup.

IanGT99
11-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Ok, well my other headlight low-beam went out today. Now I have no headlights whatsoever. Is this due to the fact that the DRL's are on all the time? My high beams are working perfectly, but I'm just thinking that because the DRL's are on all the time, that drastically cuts the life expectancy of the low beams. Should I do the DRL override when I get new bulbs tomorrow?

Rba007
11-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Woudnt hurt. I dont know about the life span of those bulbs though, never had any in my car made by GE. Id suggest springing for a set of silverstars, they never gave me any trouble.

JetMtx
11-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Juuuust to make sure, and this is not to accuse you of doing such things...When you installed the GE bulbs you made sure that no part of your skin or oil of any kind ever touched the lamp correct? If this does occur, make SURE that you completely remove any residue with Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol. If not, that may have been the cause of your lamps only lasting 2 years.

Of course, that is not to say that 2 years isn't a good stretch for a bulb, some, even if cared for don't even last that long. (cough, silverstar fogs, cough, cough)

And yes, the SilverStar 9007's are terrific, I've had mine in my car for over a year now with no problems.

DumpsterDamon
11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
just use your high's...it's all good.

SC/TGrandAm
11-21-2004, 11:29 PM
I have the GE Super Blue bulbs

Heres your problem.... retarded ricer bulbs. :rolleyes:

IanGT99
11-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Heres your problem.... retarded ricer bulbs. :rolleyes:

lol Believe it or not, they actually did give a very bright, very broad stretch of light. They didn't shine blue, but a very brilliant white. They were brighter than stock, and they only cost me $17. I just find it a little strange that BOTH bulbs literally blew out within TWO days of each other. No, JetMtx, I didn't touch the bulbs at all. I know that residue from skin will greatly affect the longevity of bulbs, so I made absolute certain not to touch them. I installed a set of these into my friend's SE, and they didn't last more than a year. I guess it's a word to the wise not to get those bulbs. I think I may just get myself a set of Silverstars. I really don't want to spend $50 on headlight bulbs right now directly before Christmas, but I guess I don't really have a choice. If anyone happens to have an extra set laying around they wouldn't mind selling for a little cheaper, please let me know...

SC/TGrandAm
11-22-2004, 07:25 AM
hmm, chances are they are made in japan. Japan bulbs = junk, stay clear of them.

By any chance your headlights havent been fogging up as of late have they? GA headlights are well known for not sealing correctly and moisture in a light bulb will cause premature failure of the bulb.

IanGT99
11-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Actually, I have noticed a slight build up of condensation in there, but only every once and a while. I still find it very odd that they BOTH went out within two days of each other.

Kdawg207
11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
happened to me in the past....just get new bulbs...make sure they sit in the housing right...and make sure your headlight is sealed ok....cheap bulbs wont last forever...neither will expensive ones haha....