Engine Cranks But wont Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cranks But wont Start

Violator
11-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Well Im trying to get my car running, The sucker just turns over, I bought it not running and was told it was the ingnition control module. I took it off and had it tested and sure enought it was bad test 3 times failed 3 times. So I got a new one ($122 for a new one) Got it home and still nothing, but the car puts a code out now, it gives me a code 42- The damm thing cant be bad already, with the bad one in the computer wont code so something is up, I was thinking bad connector, because I have changed the ECM already. I just dont want to take it to a garage for them to just hunt and pick you know, its a 93 GAGT 3.3L, I have a Skylark that had a similar problem but, ended up being a Crank Sensor. How can I make sure?

gaultma
11-22-2004, 04:26 PM
to see if it is something ignition related try pulling out a spark plug and laying it on the block. Have someone attempt to start the car and you will be able to see if it is sparking. The will eliminate your ignition problems, mostly. Have you checked the timing on it?

Malaclypse
11-23-2004, 02:10 AM
Try this.. Have a friend crank on the car while you beat on the gas tank with a rubber mallet. You should hit the tank in the middle near the back (where the fuel pump should be). Try doing that. If the car starts right up you need a new fuel pump.

If that doesn't fix anything, cycle the key from off to RUN and stick a small screwdriver into the fuel pressure test port and see if fuel comes spraying out. If so, your fuel pump is good and you need to move on to spark or compression. If not, the car might still need a fuel pump.

GrandIllusion
11-23-2004, 02:48 AM
hey i got a problem with mine so i figure ill add here or take it somewhere else if need be. but my problem is while im driving it is hesitating badly like at constant speed it will studder. i know i have a cracked head gasket but would that make it do that t he crack is very small and im loosing pressure but at a very slow rate. i already changed the coil pack cover..... btw it is a 2.3 ohc

tenspeed
11-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Whatever wiped out your old ECM could have wiped out your new ECM. They don't just break, usually there is a relay that it feeds that is shorted out and is taking more amps than the ECM can deliver.

A ECM can only push about .5 amps. The relays should read 20 ohms or more.

Violator
11-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Well Ive got it running, it was the Module it wasnt tightened all the way(duh) any ways it starts at first turn....!!!!! one thing down others togo.