Brake Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem

White Puma
11-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Recently noticed a weird problem with my brakes and was hoping someone could help. When I apply the brakes everything is ok, no shimmying or anything, however, when I start to gently release the brake pedal coming to a stop I get this loud grinding noise. It's only when I start to release it though and when the car is almost at a stop? Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks.

MetaGTP1
11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Recently noticed a weird problem with my brakes and was hoping someone could help. When I apply the brakes everything is ok, no shimmying or anything, however, when I start to gently release the brake pedal coming to a stop I get this loud grinding noise. It's only when I start to release it though and when the car is almost at a stop? Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks.Your brake pads are very low and your brake rotors may be warped.

brsexton
11-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Or your calipers and slide pins may just need a good lube job.

White Puma
11-23-2004, 10:47 AM
The brakes and rotors have been checked, brakes are good and rotors are new. How do you lube your caliper slide pin? Where is it located?

Thanks.

Hexx
11-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Mine makes a nice noise when I step on the brakes.....kinda sounds like a plane.

Vroooooooooooooooo(deeper sound)ooooooooooooo(feeling brakes and rotors grabbing)ooooooooo STOP!

Yay for cross drilled/carbon metallic pads ;)

Yeah, the above posts are pretty much all I can think of too.

john_ertw
11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Can you notice where the sound comes from? I have a similar sound that is coming from the rear (I can't tell which side though). For me it only happens when braking moderately or hard. It seems to happen towards the end of the braking when I am starting to let up on the brakes (just like White Puma said).

I used to have a similar problem in the front before I had the pads & rotors changed (the pads wore unevenly causing the rotors to wear poorly) and had the calipar slides lubed. I was told that the pads wore unevenly because the slides were not lubricated and were not sliding like intended. Last night I was guessing it's probably the calipar slides that need to be lubed cause that's what it was last time in the front.

White Puma
11-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know where the slide pins are that you are supossed to grease?

Hexx
11-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Does anyone know where the slide pins are that you are supossed to grease?

Its the bolts that hold the caliper onto the mount. That mount it bolted to the kuckle.

Jack up your car and take your wheel off. You can then move the caliper side to side. Of course the rotor will move outta place too which is fine for now. The way I greased mine up was to take those bolts out. MAKE SURE YOU TORQUE them right when you put them back in. If you strip them you are screwed...buy a new caliper or tap it ;)

Use some high temp grease on the slides.

action
11-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Do a search for caliper creaking, you have to use a silicone type spray lubricant and lube the brake caliper piston by putting the straw under the rubber gasket. This will solve your problem. I did mine 6 months ago and it never came back (thank god!!!)

preed4962
11-24-2004, 08:18 AM
If you strip the slide pins, buy new slide pins, if you strip the hole you are putting them in, that hole (with the threads) is on a bracket attached to knuckle, so you would have to buy a new adapter, not a caliper.

White Puma
11-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Do have to take off the caliper to get to the caliper piston? If I have someone press in the break then I should see this thing moving and in out and that's what I grease right?

john_ertw
11-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Do have to take off the caliper to get to the caliper piston? If I have someone press in the break then I should see this thing moving and in out and that's what I grease right?

I'm wondering the same thing. Do I have to remove any other hardware such as brake pads to get the slide pins out? I did a search but couldn't find anything. I'm hoping you can just take the wheel off, remove the bolt, lubricate the slide pin, then reinstall everything. For some reason I have a feeling it won't be that simple.