how long it takes for the coolant in your oil to eat through the bearings [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : how long it takes for the coolant in your oil to eat through the bearings

Vimjah
11-25-2004, 10:25 AM
just wondering if anyone knows approx. how long it takes for the coolant in your oil to eat through the bearings if you have the LIM problem?

iceman
11-25-2004, 10:36 AM
edited the title.. hopefully more will see. next time please use a less useless title :cheers:

Magnum
11-25-2004, 11:31 AM
On my sister's Malibu, it was about a month. The dealership knew about it and everything, from when the leak started, but that was during the gasket shortage about 2.5 years ago, so they couldn't fix it. She ended up getting a full rebuild when the gaskets came back in stock, on warranty.

abusedgt97
11-25-2004, 01:16 PM
yes, If you have the problem, fix it immediately. Don't mess with driving it our you will need a lot of work.

AznGA
11-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Should I be worried? I can see the leak when I pop the hood. But my coolent level stays the same and I have never had coolent light on my dash. My engine oil seems fine as well. it's been like this for over a year.

abusedgt97
11-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Well sometimes the lim leak is external and sometimes its internal (into the oil), I would make sure it is indeed a lim leak first. If it is determined to be a lim leak I would look into getting it fixed as the problem is not going to get better or fix its self.

Vimjah
11-25-2004, 02:06 PM
I did get it fixed ASAP.. however it's been 3 weeks nowsince it was fixed and my oil is again contaminated and I've been told by another shop that the crank bearing is gone. So I'm goin back to the 1st shop in a hour or so to raise a lil hell

Here's a pic of the oil cap

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/vimjah/DSCF0126.jpg

abusedgt97
11-25-2004, 02:19 PM
eh, good stuff, I would bet they did not get all the inital coolant out of the system after they fixed it. Possibly they messed it up, did not follow revised torque specs, who knows. Is it knocking? If so crank/main bearing knocks are fairly loud. Good luck, let us know.

AznGA
11-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Well sometimes the lim leak is external and sometimes its internal (into the oil), I would make sure it is indeed a lim leak first. If it is determined to be a lim leak I would look into getting it fixed as the problem is not going to get better or fix its self.
What else could it be?

Vimjah
11-25-2004, 04:49 PM
yeah.. it's knocking like a bitch :( well I went down to the shop and basically the Assistant Manager tryed to say it was my fault and that "I don't know what caused it, but it wasn't anything we did" I think the best part was his test to see if there was coolant in my oil, took some sludge off my oil cap and licked it... I almost called him a retard. So as it stands right now.. according to them.. i'm down 1/4 Liter of oil and the contamination "is just moisture that 95% of all cars have" so I gotta go back when the actual manager is there. :scream:

abusedgt97
11-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Azn - water pump, hoses, etc...

Vim - How long ago did you have the lim changed, also did they do an oil change after they changed it?

AznGA
11-26-2004, 04:43 AM
I can see the leak on the manifold though.

Ridenour
11-26-2004, 08:57 AM
I have had the LIM leak for about a month. I know this cause I had to top off my coolant about a month ago cause it was low, and there apparently was coolant leaking in the area under the throttle body. I didn't actually see any coolant, but the dirt on the engine was muddy, so I assume the coolant was turning the dirt into mud. I haven't had the slightest bit of milkiness in my oil. Does this mean that mine is an external LIM leak? Will I just have to keep topping off my coolant every once in a while, or should I get it fixed? This car is going to be down the road in about 2 years. If it's not going to hurt the engine, and only requires adding coolant every few months, should I just let it go?

Vimjah
11-26-2004, 09:44 AM
had the LIM lead fixed about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ago... they said they changed the oil, but I don't know for sure if it was flushed properly

abusedgt97
11-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Azn - get it fixed.

Ride - get it fixed, its not going to get better.

Vim - that sucks, maybe they did a poor job, hopefully you can get them to fix the present problem, but that will entitle a lot of work which they will try to avoid at all costs. Good luck, let us know.