Gas Gauge Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge Problem

GTRacer19
11-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I have been having a problem with my gas gauge lately. sometimes it will say its full when it's not and will go right to empty when it's not either and sometimes it will just stay at a half. does anyone know if this might be an electrical problem or something else. and if anyone else has had this problem let me know what you had to do to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Skullrot
11-25-2004, 09:01 PM
More than likely it's your sending unit in your gas tank. I had the same problem and thats what fixed it. You'll have to drop your gas tank to fix it, thats the hardest part of it too. Hope this helps.

Rogue9
11-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Isn't there a recall for this???

read: Free repair... heh.

GTRacer19
11-27-2004, 12:54 PM
and how much would the sending unit cost?

Aleromi
11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
I have been having a problem with my gas gauge lately. sometimes it will say its full when it's not and will go right to empty when it's not either and sometimes it will just stay at a half. does anyone know if this might be an electrical problem or something else. and if anyone else has had this problem let me know what you had to do to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Well jeff i'm here to tell ya i had the same problem and had to buy a new sending unit...

See pic's...(http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39941)

I got a factory replacement sending unit for 292 from Schrams auto parts in waterford,mi...

Um If u do this ur self it could take u about 3hrs with a jack and hand tools.

See installed pic.

JetMtx
11-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Gotta say, the Hammer is a nice compliment to that picture. What maintenance job is complete without a large hammer? But where's the beer? :ec:

Aleromi
11-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Chillin in the refregitor(SP?)

OH the hammer though i was going to need it. but the new fuel sending units have a different clip now.

the old way was to tap on the lock down ring and then remove the sending unit.

JetMtx
11-28-2004, 03:15 PM
So, I wasn't too far off with the comment about the hammer eh? Interesting.

mr03SCT
11-29-2004, 06:42 AM
i had the same problem...took it to a GM dealer and they put some fuel cleaner in the Gas Tank at no charge since my car is still under warranty...that fixed teh problem and i have not had it since.

GTRacer19
11-29-2004, 08:26 PM
ok cool thanks guys for all the help:) i will look at the sending unit and i will try some fuel cleaner too.

Intuit57
11-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Just a quick note; once you have the gas tank off (the sending unit is a part of the fuel pump)...consider getting the whole piece... a new pump, since this is a weakness in our cars I suspect!

GrahamKracka
11-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi Just a quick note; once you have the gas tank off (the sending unit is a part of the fuel pump)...consider getting the whole piece... a new pump, since this is a weakness in our cars I suspect!

our cars weakness is the tranny

DrFabulous
11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
:werd

Oh, and the re-sale.

Mike Jung
11-29-2004, 09:53 PM
GTRacer19,

See thread: Fuel Level Sensor (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14550&page=1&pp=20)
& see the Toronto Star newspaper article that is in page 2 of that thread:
from: Toronto Star newspaper, Saturday, Dec 20, '03: Why the fuel gauges in GM cars don't always work. Company has part that can fix problem. Ottawa says gauges don't pose a risk. (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1071875408724)

Try using a total fuel system cleaner (not just an fuel injector cleaner) in the gas tank.
I know it has worked for me the last 2-springs, when my full gauge started acting up again.
After a few gas tanks later, my gas gauge return to normal operation.

Intuit57
12-03-2004, 11:12 AM
our cars weakness is the tranny

Yes, that too! I had a tranny problem after 6 months! (The car was new) They could never find a problem until I suggested they replace the valve body..which fixed it. But it's funny you'd say "tranny" as our weakness..how about the Gasket? How about the Brakes? or about the Turn Signal Thing? etc etc etc etc!!
:violin

GTRacer19
12-03-2004, 06:49 PM
how about the whole dang car.