ticking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ticking

badboy2451
11-26-2004, 03:48 PM
its starting to get pretty cold here in pittsburgh, so i went to start my car this morning and there was loud ticking noise comming from underneath the hood. I cant remember if i have heard it before or not, but can anyone tell me if this is just a normal thing or if it needs to be checked out

abusedgt97
11-26-2004, 04:31 PM
might be a lack of inital oil pressure, lifter tick, probably not a problem.

coupe
11-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Bet its your AC compresser. Turn your AC on and if it goes away it is your AC compresser.

BTarb24
12-22-2004, 02:37 AM
i am also in pittsburgh and have gained this wonderful sound in the last week or two as well. It comes from the right side of the engine. AC trick didnt help. Even after my car gets to operating temp it still ticks on the right side.

Malaclypse
12-22-2004, 01:01 PM
The 3100 and 3400 are notorious for ticking on cold start. Mine's been ticking horribly for the past 20,000 miles.

Mike Jung
12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
its starting to get pretty cold here in pittsburgh, so i went to start my car this morning and there was loud ticking noise comming from underneath the hood. I cant remember if i have heard it before or not, but can anyone tell me if this is just a normal thing or if it needs to be checked out

might be a lack of inital oil pressure, lifter tick, probably not a problem.

i am also in pittsburgh and have gained this wonderful sound in the last week or two as well. It comes from the right side of the engine... Even after my car gets to operating temp it still ticks on the right side.

The 3100 and 3400 are notorious for ticking on cold start...
How cold are we taking about ?
It was -26C / -15F air temperature here in Toronto on Monday morning.
Weird that morning (with no block heater) I had non of that loud ticking noise, but have heard it last year winter around that temperature range (or just alittle colder) when parked outside all-day.
But I do hear some minor ticking nosie from the engine in the summer temperature range (with the windows down & I drive-by a wall on like a highway on ramp) range with Mobil 1 5W30, but lesser noise using Mobil 1 10W30 (or a long time ago using North American Castrol Syntec 5W50 [hydo-cracked dino] synthetic) motor oil.
Thicker grade motor oil hides that engine noise ticking at normal engine operating temperature when using it in the summer.

What type of oil; 'dino' or 'synthetic', & brand & model of oil ?
A real PAO-based 'synthetic' motor oil; like Mobil 1 (0W30, 5W30, 0W40) or German Castrol Syntec (0W30) motor oil will flow faster in the cold & won't freeze/gel-up.

I was using Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic motor oil.
(Will be using German Castrol Syntec 0W30 (almost a 40-weight motor oil at normal engine operating temperature) synthetic motor oil after the New Year.)

What type of oil filter ?
Some oil filters are BAD; like Fram (orange) Extra Guard oil filters!
Fram Extra Guard oil filters WILL cause your engine to do ticking noise (worse in the winter time when colder) at cold engine start-up!

Anti-Drain Valve maybe not working properly & leaking the oil out of the oil filter while parked with the engine off (or is poorly designed Anti-Drain Valve, like the ones on Fram Extra Guard oil filters).
Nitrile (rubber) Anti-Drain Valves don't work so well in the extreme cold or after in use for a long time since last oil change.

I use a NAPA Gold (made by Wix/DANA in Canada) over-sized (bigger than the stock PF-47 size, similar to a PF -52 size) oil filer.
It has a:
"Silicone Anti-Drain Valve:
Stays flexiable in extreme temperatures, improves oil flow & keeps oil in filter to prevent engine destroying dry starts.
Tests show that our silicone anti-drain valve stays flexible while competive nitrile vlaves can harden & begin to leak."
Wix oil filter (http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html)

brim
12-22-2004, 09:21 PM
piston slap = p

actually i've heard it's a very common issue with the 3400, the "ticking" that is

BTarb24
12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
anywhere between 5 - 50 degrees F.

10W-30 synthetic... i promise that next oil change i will no buy another fram extra guard even tho it has that cool rubber grippy thing on the end =P

I have also read that there are some companies that make an oil addative that quiets it down. Anyone have any experience or suggestions on that?

Mike Jung
12-23-2004, 04:41 AM
anywhere between 5 - 50 degrees F.

10W-30 synthetic... i promise that next oil change i will no buy another fram extra guard even tho it has that cool rubber grippy thing on the end =P

I have also read that there are some companies that make an oil addative that quiets it down. Anyone have any experience or suggestions on that?

IMO, I would NOT use a 10W-30 grade motor oil in the winter time; even if it is a real synthetic motor oil.
I would use a 5W-30 grade motor oil; preferable a real PAO-based synthetic motor oil.

Good thing about staying away from the Fram Extra Guard oil filters.
Funny thing is that most AC Delco oil filters are ok/fine; depending on where/who it was made by (there are different sources of manufacturers & countries for them).
In Canada: AC Delco oil filters, like: PF-47c (or over-sized PF-52c) are made by DANA Corp. (which is who/where Wix/NAPA Gold oil filters are made, but Wix/NAPA Gold oil filter labelled units have a better filter media, silicone anti-drain valve, & maybe with a slightly better designed construction of the oil filter).

IMO, I would stay away from any oil additives; unless you know what you are doing.
Just use a good oil.

If you want more info, check out an oil enthusiast forum like:
Bob is the Oil Guy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com)
Their discussion form can be found at Bob is the Oil Guy.com discussion forum page (http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi)