bad fuel injectors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : bad fuel injectors

wheelnut46
11-29-2004, 11:01 AM
My wife's 99 G/A GT is at the dealership right now with bad fuel injectors. Here's the kicker - It's only got 18,600 miles.

atc3434
11-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Does she run the tank down to empty all the time? I know its not to hard to goober up the injectors if your scraping the bottom of the tank for gas all the time. And the fact that its all of them and not just one makes it seem more like a problem related to the entire fuel system, instead of one specific injector going bad. Make sure they get a new fuel filter on there.

wheelnut46
11-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Actually it's the number 3 and 5 injectors. And then I found out today that the fuel pump is gone. My wife doesnt let the tank get below 1/4. I got the car in August from her sick mom in Florida. The car only had 14,000 miles when i got it and now it has 18,600. I dont know if they went bad from the car sitting not used for long stretches at a time or what but it's going to be a pretty big bill when we get it back. The dealer will replace the fuel filter while it's there. I like the car but I'm pretty upset about all the work it's needing already. :hang:

atc3434
11-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Yea, if it sat a while, maybe you got some rust/water in the fuel system, that'll tear stuff up. I've got 84k on my original fuel pump, still going strong. Some people claim they've had problems frying the pump running the car really low on gas, but its never been an issue for me. I'd be willing to bet that the sitting around is the cause of the troubles.

wheelnut46
11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Dealer called. They said tank had lots of rust and they're replacing all the fuel injectors and the fuel pressure regulator and some lines and other miscellanious stuff and that the price just went WAY up. Said that they keep finding things wrong. Word cannot express what I'm feeling right now about this car.

atc3434
11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Can't blame a car for something that could have been prevented with proper treatment of the fuel system for long term storage. Somebody stored the car with a close to empty tank, water formed, and now you've got rust. Thats a pain, but really, what can you do.

fo44rd
12-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Dealer called. They said tank had lots of rust and they're replacing all the fuel injectors and the fuel pressure regulator and some lines and other miscellanious stuff and that the price just went WAY up. Said that they keep finding things wrong. Word cannot express what I'm feeling right now about this car.

Welcome to GA owners world. My next door nieghbor had #4 go out on her, then #3 a month later and just had all of them done. She also did her EGR valve 6 months ago because it popped an SES code. Did I fail to mention her 1999 gt just cracked 40,000 miles. My buddy across the alley had a 6 pack of injectors and the LIM done under extended warranty, along with 2 of his 4 wheel hub bearings. 68,000 miles on his. I have 22,000 miles on my 2002 and I have had a grocecy list of items done at the dealer already. She is ready to go back to the dealer for a final round or 2 prior to the warranty expiring.

Malaclypse
12-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Things like wheel bearing failures aren't preventable in any way. Truth be told that's a common failure for N-body vehicles. GM lets the cars go so cheap because all the cheap parts are included.

As far as finding rust in the tank, that's completely inexscusable because the vehicle obviously sat for long periods of time without proper preparations and now its taking out injectors and regulators.

Fuel pumps do suffer more wear from running below 1/8th tank because there's less fuel to transfer heat away from the pump. Also changing the fuel filter often helps because there's less strain on the pump. I change my fuel filter every 7 - 10k.

fo44rd
12-01-2004, 02:51 AM
Things like wheel bearing failures aren't preventable in any way. Truth be told that's a common failure for N-body vehicles. GM lets the cars go so cheap because all the cheap parts are included.

hence the reason I got on my :soapbox

I hate cost cutting. Build it right and they will come.

atc3434
12-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Way to jump in for some GA bashing. Just for the record, I've got 84k on my car. A '99. Never had the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold gasket) problem, replaced 1 wheel bearing, 1 window regulator, and 1 blower motor resistor. Other than that, the cars been just fine. Don't let guys like fo44rd scare you, the GA is a pretty decent car. There's a couple known issues you'll have to probably deal with, but regular maintence will yeild plenty of good miles without too much trouble. Keep in mind people usually only post up when they're having trouble, you don't ever hear about all the people that are just fine.

wheelnut46
12-01-2004, 09:34 PM
The car is home now - $1,769 later. New fuel pump, all new injectors, regulator, some fuel lines, injector rails flushed, tank cleaned, pressure feed line assembly (?). work warrenteed for 1 year / 12,000 miles.
Wife says runs good. Going to keep eye on it, use FI cleaner once in a while and keep tank above 1/4 at least - 1/2 better.

onesexyga
12-02-2004, 05:17 AM
Youll be glad you spent the money. I tried to get out of the problem the cheap way on my old car, rather than spend 1,500 on a 93 with 182k. Never was the same again.

fo44rd
12-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Way to jump in for some GA bashing. Just for the record, I've got 84k on my car. A '99. Never had the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold gasket) problem, replaced 1 wheel bearing, 1 window regulator, and 1 blower motor resistor.

If it has never been done, it probably has a wet ring around the gasket even if it isn't leaking.