Ignition Cylinder or Shift Interlock problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Cylinder or Shift Interlock problem

tenstrum
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
So I'm having a problem with getting my key to turn to start my 2000 GT sometimes. I just go to start and the ignition won't turn. I have to step on the brake, jiggle the drive selector back and forth pretty hard while trying to turn the key with my left hand. Usually takes a minute or so before the key will turn and I can start my car.
Called the dealer. They said that it was either the Ignition Cylinder ($185) or the Shift Interlock($125). Plus a $60 fee to trouble shoot. So I'm looking at over $200 to get it fixed. Going to have to do it soon, because it's happening more and more often. I'm afraid one of these days, I won't be able to get it to turn at all. I'm thinking that its the Shift Interlock since jiggling it back and forth is the only thing that really helps.
I love my car (when it starts)...

tenstrum
12-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Well, I cursed myself...
I had planned on calling the dealership to schedule an appointment to get the problem fixed, but.....the ignition completely locked up on me. I could not get my key to turn at all. I spent 4 hours trying to get it to turn. No luck. I eventually had to call a tow truck and get it towed in. Sucks really bad! The dealer has it right now, working on it. I hope they don't ream me out on the cost to fix it....

rizer
12-02-2004, 11:02 AM
If i recall, the part alone is like $150 (lock cylinder) at the dealer, plus the insanely high labor cost.

My lock cylinder has started to give me some random problems so i just ordered a new lock cylinder for 45 bucks off ebay. Easy to change by myself, plus save 300-400 bucks

tenstrum
12-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Just heard back from the dealer.
They are going to have to drill my lock cylinder out...
Apperently its FUBAR!
$165 for a new one and $170 for labor.... :scream:
They did say that they would recode the cylinder for my key for free.
I feel ill... :vomit:

rizer
12-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Drill the cylinder out?

Cant they just take the whole cylinder out and throw a new one in with different key? Or can the cylinder not come if the keys not turned to the right spot?

Malaclypse
12-03-2004, 12:43 AM
The cylinder can't be removed if the key won't turn. In vehicles where the ignition is in the column, the ignition case can be removed and the cylinder knocked out that way.

In the case of the grand am, it has to be drilled out.

tenstrum
12-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Dealer called me back. They had to drill the cylinder out and still couldn't get it out without damaging the switch...
So I had to have a new switch as well. *ouch*
They gave me wholesale price on the parts and only charged me 3.5 hours of labor instead of the 5.5 they had put into it.
The total came to $461!!! *OUCH*
But my car starts now...

LaSarita75
02-23-2005, 06:14 AM
I had to get my ignition cylinder replaced yesterday. Something had happened and it frayed a wire. I spent a pretty penny on the whole ordeal (labor costs killed me). I've never heard of an ignition cylinder needing to be replaced at almost exactly 40, 000 miles.