Ram Air / CAI [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air / CAI

wheelnut46
11-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Typical newbie question but since I couldnt find an answer when I searched I'll ask it now.
Car: 99 G/A GT HO Ram Air - Thats what it says on the fenders anyway...
From all of the pictures that I've seen it looks like the CAI air filter just sits in the engine compartment. Isnt this supposed to be a Ram-Air system, closed from the engine compartment - only allowing cold outside air, forced in through the 2 "nostrils" in the front, above the bumper. How is the CAI better if it allows warm air from the engine compartment in? Is it strictly allowing more Air Volume or am I missing something in the pictures that takes outside air.
They seem to be very popular.
What gains in HP or fuel economy did you ACTUALLY get?

sc02grandam
11-29-2004, 10:43 PM
ram air in the gagt doesnt work... or doesnt work well.. and i have no idea why.. but i know its pretty much useless

Gold99HO
11-29-2004, 10:48 PM
works better then nothing at all....

AndyVTek
11-29-2004, 10:48 PM
CAI = cold air intake... There's nothing warm about it. The CAI sold by DoctorSpeed and several others pulls in air from the fenderwell... a good distance from the heat produced by the engine.

The Ram Air on our cars isn't functional, that's for sure. Promotional tool.

radgto
11-29-2004, 11:37 PM
If the filter is in the engine compartment it's a WAI, warm air induction.

better than the ram air for sure.

If it were a CAI you wouldn't see the filter with the hood open.

Duane

atc3434
11-30-2004, 12:11 AM
WAI's have a greater capacity than the stock setup for air volume, the Ram Air is a complete gimick. It's so restrictive that it's not acutally going to be able to force any air in at all.

The WAI isn't really a good step up from the RamAir, because a WAI is prone to heatsoak. This is when the underhood temperatures are warm, and the air entering the motor is susequently quite warm. Warm air doesn't carry as much oxygen as cold air, and the computer knows this, so it runs less fuel with it too keep the air/fuel ratio acceptable. So, if your sitting at a light, and the air under the hood heats up (It really doesn't take long) you'll notice the car will be sluggish and bog until the air under the hood cools some from the car moving.

The CAI is piped all the way into the fenderwell, in front of the tire and washy-fluid tank. Here the air is much cooler than in the engine bay, and doesn't heat nearly as much when standing still. There is plenty of volume too, so the car has plenty of cool, dense, oxygen rich air to breath. More oxygen means you can add more fuel, and more fuel = more power.

I will give the WAI one benifit though, great fuel economy. My CAI comes out during the winter for a two-fold reason. One, so I don't have to deal with cleaning a messy filter down in the fender in the middle of winter, and two, because the CAI draws such cold air, that especially when highway cruise, the mileage actually suffers. On my last trip home from Boston to NY I checked mileage with my CAI, I was around 25-26mpg, just highway cruise in upper 30's temps. While home over Turkey Day break I converted back to a WAI for the winter, and checked mileage again. Got 28-29mpg on the way back, and it was even colder. There was also some, shall we say, highway horsepower comparisons going on with some other cars, and the mileage was still much better than with the CAI. This is due to the air temperature being much warmer with the WAI, giving a more effecient burn.

Geez, I gotta stop with Pepsi late at night, really makes for some long winded posts. I shoulda said, RamAir's a joke, a WAI isn't much better performance wise, and a true CAI is the way to go. Oh well, you got the long explanation. Be happy.

AznGA
11-30-2004, 12:18 AM
I have WAI right now. During winter, it pulls really good, because I took the stock airbox out, but still left that big plastic pieces that says "Ram Air By Pontiac". It helps drawing air to the cone filter. But I swear in hot summer days, WAI is worse than stock airbox.

atc3434
11-30-2004, 12:23 AM
I have WAI right now. During winter, it pulls really good, because I took the stock airbox out, but still left that big plastic pieces that says "Ram Air By Pontiac". It helps drawing air to the cone filter. But I swear in hot summer days, WAI is worse than stock airbox.
Way worse, huh? One day hot day, before I had the CAI in, I actually was hole-shot by an automatic 4 banger Eclipse due to some serious heatsoak sitting at a couple of lights in the 85 degree weather. The embarassment factor was very high. That same Eclipse tried about 2 weeks later after intake was upgraded to the CAI and I had the res. delete and turbo muffler on. I don't know what suprised the chick more, the massive lighting up of the tires, or me jumping out 3 car lenghts before I was even done with 1st gear. Either way, the WAI is the suck, defintely worse than stock once heatsoaked.

AznGA
11-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Was that Eclipse Turboed?

atc3434
11-30-2004, 12:34 AM
No, not this particular one. I have gone up against a couple GS-T's, one auto, one stick. The auto was stupid, couldn't get off the line to save its life, I'd smoke it every time without any trouble at all. The stick was darn quick. The SE's long gearing really hurt the first 20mph or so against the 5 and 6 speed stick cars, so the GS-T could usually holeshot me. From a roll of 30, he couldn't pull. Roll at 65 or better and the gears really worked in my favor and I could pull him. Pretty close cars. If he didn't launch good, I was usually ok to get out front and stay there, but if he grabbed a good hole shot, I'd ride his back fender till at least 70, and then start to pull. Both cars were stock, as far as I know.

AznGA
11-30-2004, 12:45 AM
I drove a base Eclipse GS auto non-turbo. That thing was slow. Any stock 3400 can take it. I guess your WAI was really bad.

atc3434
11-30-2004, 12:48 AM
I drove a base Eclipse GS auto non-turbo. That thing was slow. Any stock 3400 can take it. I guess your WAI was really bad. It was super super hot out, and I'd been sitting at a couple of lights. Car really would bog out with that thing. Those base Eclipses really are SLOW, I was mucho embarrased. I still pulled on her once I got air moving under the hood and starting feeling power, but that first 40mph was retarted slow. That was the day I decided I needed the CAI. Very good choice indeed.

AznGA
11-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Hehe, it's ok. I have had this stock V6 SE pull on my car that has WAI and SLP exhaust. We all have embarrasing moments.
:)

DevilSlayer
11-30-2004, 10:11 AM
and the air under the hood heats up (It really doesn't take long) you'll notice the car will be sluggish and bog until the air under the hood cools some from the car moving.

Yeah, I've noticed this. Once my engine warms up and I'm idling at a light, after 10-15 secs it really doesn't feel like its idling smoothly. When I have my hood open the engine idles fine.

So, when I get my CAI from DoctorSpeed it should smooth out the idle?