Newbie LIM question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie LIM question

intence
12-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and so this question is pretty simple (and may seem stupid). It looks like my wife's '99 GAGT has a leaking LIM, I can't see the leak, but the heater wasn't working, and there was no coolant in the reservoir. The water pump was changed about 2 months ago, but maybe sludgy Dex-Cool contributed to the failure. The oil seems much darker than normal (considering the last oil change wasn't that long ago), and even a bit orange, so that definitely can't be good.

I'm planning on getting the LIM issue fixed, but here's the dumb question, is there an Upper Intake Manifold (UIM), and if so, is it simple or a good idea to change the UIM gasket when doing the LIM?

I'm about to get the parts from GM, and will most likely have my mechanic do the work, if there is a UIM Gasket does it come in the GM Gasket kit, or is another part altogether?

If anyone has any ideas or tips, please let me know, any help will be appreciated. I'm planning on getting the Gasket Kit, 2 valve cover gaskets, and the revised bolts (in the scheme of things, they're pretty cheap so might as well chnage those too). I'm just wondering if there's another UIM gasket or something I should also get.

Malaclypse
12-01-2004, 02:28 AM
You're going to replace the upper intake gaskets in the process anyways... Invest in a bottle of blue loc-tite and forget about the lower intake bolts. GM only suggests to replace those because the new intake bolts have loc-tite already applied.

You're on the right track.

intence
12-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Okay, but the parts for the upper intake gaskets, are they include in the gasket kit? I know I need the kit, and the valve cover gasket, but do I need a separate part for the upper intake manifold, or does the part come with the kit?