Preventable maintenance [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Preventable maintenance

wheelnut46
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
I just had the fuel system in my wifes 99 GT replaced at the dealer. Very expensive and very extensive damage due to rust. In the "Bad fuel injector" post some eluded to wheel bearing failure and lower intake mainifold leaks as typical problems. My lower intake should not be a problem due to the fact that it was just ripped apart by the dealer but are there any other special problems these cars have that folks should be made aware of?
Thanks

atc3434
12-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Well, there are some problems you'll probably run into that arn't really preventable. The window regulators are weak, they occasionally fail leaving you with a window that doesn't like to go up or down. Don't really know a way to prevent that.

Wheel bearings have been known to go sooner than they maybe should. I replaced 1 at 75k or so, and have another one making some noise now at 84k. I would suspect with your car sitting for so long that you had rust damage in the fuel system that premature wheel bearing failure is quite possible. Can't service them, if they go, they go.

The blower motor resistor will almost certianly fail being that you have the 99. Your's probably has the orignial design resistor in it. What happens is you'll lose your speeds 1 & 2, and possibly even 3 & 4 on your HVAC control. The resistor is inexpensive, and not terribly complicated to replace.

Brakes rotors are a weak spot, if your a heavy and hard braker, you'll warp the stock rotors pretty easy. If your real good to them, you'll get plenty of miles on them, I still have my originals.

Tranny flushes every 30,000 to 50,000 miles are generally a good idea. Obviously, oil changes are important as well, all the usual preventative stuff.

Draug
12-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Wheel bearings have been known to go sooner than they maybe should. I replaced 1 at 75k or so, and have another one making some noise now at 84k. I would suspect with your car sitting for so long that you had rust damage in the fuel system that premature wheel bearing failure is quite possible. Can't service them, if they go, they go.

The blower motor resistor will almost certianly fail being that you have the 99. Your's probably has the orignial design resistor in it. What happens is you'll lose your speeds 1 & 2, and possibly even 3 & 4 on your HVAC control. The resistor is inexpensive, and not terribly complicated to replace.

I too have a GA 99 GT.

The front passenger wheel bearing went at 160,000 Kms. GM only sells the whole hub complete, so just the part was over $400 CDN. I thought after, I should have taken off the hub and went to a machine/bearing shop, and had them custom press in a new one for me. It might work, but I have not looked at the hub, so I am not sure it is possible. At the time, I needed the car the next morning, so I went to the dealer right away.

My blower resister has alsofailed, right now, at 180,000 Kms.

When I go to get that part, have they updated the resistor design? Or, do I have to just expect to replace it again sometime.

Infernall
12-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I too have a GA 99 GT.

My blower resister has alsofailed, right now, at 180,000 Kms.

When I go to get that part, have they updated the resistor design? Or, do I have to just expect to replace it again sometime.

I just replaced my fan blower resistor. The new model is different in size and packaging. The new resistor should never go bad.

The look of the new part differs so much from the old that I thought the shop had given me the wrong part. It was all good though. Read the blower fan replacement sticky for installation instructions. :)

BTarb24
12-22-2004, 01:57 AM
hmm, my replacement resistor that i bought from gmpartsdirect about 8 months ago just had some kind of coating on the board. it was the same size and shape as the origional.

nd4spd
12-22-2004, 10:32 AM
my resistor has been shot for months, just got by with 3 and higher. Have gone through all 4 hubs, which by the way any local auto store should sell them around 115 bucks, heck of a lot cheaper then the dealership, or pick one up at the junkyard for around 50.

mcgrady
12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I too have a GA 99 GT.

The front passenger wheel bearing went at 160,000 Kms. GM only sells the whole hub complete, so just the part was over $400 CDN. I thought after, I should have taken off the hub and went to a machine/bearing shop, and had them custom press in a new one for me. It might work, but I have not looked at the hub, so I am not sure it is possible. At the time, I needed the car the next morning, so I went to the dealer right away.

You are crazy paying the dealer that much money. You can find a replacement through UAP/Napa or Canadian Tire for half that price!

Draug
12-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah.... I realize that now. At the time, it was more important to have it immediately, so I didnt even look into other alternatives. I should have.

Infernall
12-23-2004, 07:52 AM
By the way, I paid $17 + tax for the new fan resistor at the GM dealership here in Windsor, Ont.