gurgling noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : gurgling noise

methos
12-04-2004, 06:14 PM
this started about two weeks ago. it makes a wierd gurgling noise when i accelerate. i think there is a leak in the exhaust somewhere. any suggestions on what it is?

rocketfast123
12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
has your car lost any performance on take off?

methos
12-04-2004, 09:13 PM
at first i didnt notice any, but now it might ahve a little

rocketfast123
12-04-2004, 10:41 PM
you might just need some new plugs. If a car have bad plugs the engine will make a gurgling sound on take off. Pull one out to see how bad it is. If you need asome new ones. Ac Delco is the way to go. OEM plugs are like 5.99 each at the local part shop. I run ac-delco rapid fire 14 plugs in the the my grand am and our 3100 malibu. The rapid fire plugs are 4.50 at at autozone.

SC/TGrandAm
12-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Catylitic converter is going bad. Mine has gone bad twice now..... POS

rocketfast123
12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
if he had a bad cat the car would smell like roten eggs right?

SC/TGrandAm
12-05-2004, 12:19 AM
well going by what little info he gave, i have no idea.

Question: Does your exhaust smell like rotten eggs?

Is it more of a rattling sound?

And where is the sound generally located? under the car? in the engine compartment? or?

Malaclypse
12-05-2004, 01:00 AM
If a catalytic converter goes bad it won't necessarily smell like rotten eggs. Some good signs of a bad cat are an SES light with P0420 and/or the vehicle not accelerating to over 30-40 mph with alot of clattering from the engine.

methos
12-05-2004, 11:37 AM
it smells fine. i think its coming from under the car like right behind the engine. i think my headers or down pipe might be cracked.

RedGrandTour
12-05-2004, 01:15 PM
I think it's your water pump. I used to get the same sound.

methos
12-05-2004, 06:47 PM
well its deffintely the exhaust. i was just driving to get some gas, not even had the car on for 3 min, and the sound just got louder, i could hear it over my music. when i got back to the dorm, i checked it out. its coming from a pipe right behind the engine. like on the drivers side looking b/w the fuse box and the powersteering, theres a heat shield covering a pipe. thats where the sound is coming from. and its loud as anything.

DoCDooM
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Be wary of AC Delco plugs my friend, if you go with them make sure they have those nice little suppression ridges on them like all the other kids plugs have.
GM started saving themselves 3 cents per plug a few years back by eliminating the suppression ridges, which serve e VERY important purpose, they make the insulator (the white ceramic part) of the plug longer as far as electricity is concerned, we are talking about a couple of thousand volts or more after all.
OEM AC Delco plugs without the suppression ridges will develop a carbon trail on the inside of the plug wire boot which will cause intermittent and near impossible to find misfires .

GrandAmMe
02-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Be wary of AC Delco plugs my friend, if you go with them make sure they have those nice little suppression ridges on them like all the other kids plugs have.
GM started saving themselves 3 cents per plug a few years back by eliminating the suppression ridges, which serve e VERY important purpose, they make the insulator (the white ceramic part) of the plug longer as far as electricity is concerned, we are talking about a couple of thousand volts or more after all.
OEM AC Delco plugs without the suppression ridges will develop a carbon trail on the inside of the plug wire boot which will cause intermittent and near impossible to find misfires .

This is a 6 year old thread.

methos
02-23-2010, 01:07 AM
hahahaha. wow this thread is old

the problem ending up being a severe exhaust leak on the down pipe. had a huge hole/crack in it.