Hesitation problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation problem

2kramairGT
12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Car starts to bog down during idle. The exhuast note changes with the engine shake and bogging. It sounds very deep when it occurs. It happens in succession. The car also feels like it is hesitating when (normal driving) accelerating at low RPM. I checked the air filter for any obstructions and I have had SSheaders on for a good 10000 miles with no prior problems. No engine codes yet. Fuel injectors??? Clogged SS cat????? Or what should i look at to solve this. Please help, I want to race at atco this saturday and cant in this condition. (or at least fix my car this weekend if i cant race).

Also: I did search and found a lot of threads that no one posted what in the end fixed their cars, unless they sold them b/c of the annoying problem.

Azrael
12-07-2004, 03:55 PM
When I brought my car in for hesitation the dealership replaced all the spark plugs and wires and it fixed the problem. They might have replaced the fuel filter too but I can't remember too well.

RamAirGT22
12-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I had the same problem, and it was the fuel filter. It just needed a new one...

navsaturn
12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
check out your coil packs, I had the same problem, and the coil packs are pretty easy to replace, it took awhile for mine to actually throw a code.

2kramairGT
12-07-2004, 06:51 PM
my ses light came on today so i went and had code read at autozone. It was multiple misfires in random cyclinders. THey pointed me to the coil packs. i do not have a way to test them untill this wkend. Is it ok to drive on a crazy bad misfires??? i have to drive like 50 miles per day for work. Im going to be checking the spark plugs tongiht and the wires for any visual probs. This sucks.

If anyone knows how to easily check coils to see if they are good please share or had experience with fixing coil probs.

Mike Jung
12-07-2004, 06:56 PM
...Is it ok to drive on a crazy bad misfires??? i have to drive like 50 miles per day for work...
NO!

DevilSlayer
12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I have a similar, except it only rough idles. I don't have the hesitation during acceleration and I don't have the misfires.........yet. So, I should replace the spark plugs, the wires, and replace the fuel filter?

2000GA
12-07-2004, 07:40 PM
depending on your mileage you should do all 3. its most likely the wires though.

2kramairGT
12-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Update: The hesitation is gone. No more misfires. I removed all plugs cleaned them off a bit, put lots of conductive lube stuff on them, reinstalled and made sure wires were still in good shape. I found the problem, it was the coil packs, the terminals on two of the secondaries were rusted bad. I brillo padded them cause i was at my apt and had no regular steelwool. Then lubed them with the conductive stuff and now its running perfect. I am going to be testing the ohms(resistance i think) on the coils soon and most likely replacing them. No more detonation and I like it. :metal:

navsaturn
12-10-2004, 07:09 PM
thought that sounded similar