Brakes...What next? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brakes...What next?

DarkSyde
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
I have my 02 GAGT in the shop for warped rotors. They are telling me that my rotors are not covered under warrenty due to milage (35,000). They say brake parts are only covered for 24,000 miles unless they can find a manufaturer's defect with the parts. The service tech. then tells me that I have 70% left on my brake pads.

I called the Pontiac customer service line and told the rep. my problems. He put me on hold for a couple minutes and called the dealership where my car is being serviced. When he came back, he stated that there was nothing that he could do since the dealership believed this to be normal wear and tear. I told the rep. that the dealer also told me that I have 70% of my original brake pads left wich shows that I am not driving or braking hard or else there would be more wear. I told him that I knew of the TSB for "Fornt Disc Brake Pulsation" and quoted him the # to which he replied "A TSB does not state that there is a problem, it only tells a service center what to do if there is a problem." I continued to (calmly) argue my case to the rep., but in the end, he said all I could do was try taking it to a different dealer for a second opinion and then gave me a complaint log #.

So what should I do now? I don't want to sink any money into this POS. Maybe I should just trade it in for a hyundai! lol

rizer
12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, i think its gonna be hard getting rotors replaced under warranty. Rotors are just a thing that gotta be replaced either really early or sometimes luckly later on in the cars life.

Ive seen people on here replacing there rotors in the mid 25k miles so it isnt unusual.
Just bite the bullet and buy a nice set of cross drilled for 80 bucks on ebay :)

NorKoastal
12-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Rotors should not be a means for trading a vehicle... Get two new front Raybestos PG plus on the front and you will be pleased...2 cents

rizer
12-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Rotors should not be a means for trading a vehicle...

for me its the window regulator ;)

NorKoastal
12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Enjoy swapping cars every month..

2kramairGT
12-08-2004, 02:11 PM
35000 mi is nto bad, you should be greatful. Get a new set and install them yourself. Dont let the dealer charge you $200+ to cut them and reinstall.

luniz
12-08-2004, 02:23 PM
I can't believe that they at least wont resurface the rotors. I had mine resurfaced at 28,000 for free.

DarkSyde
12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Rotors should not be a means for trading a vehicle...

I was not serious about trading it in, I am just tired of all the problems I have had with this vehicle. This is just one of many.

Transmission quit shifting- replaced under warrenty, paint dull/flaking- warrenty clear coat repair, bumper trim piece falling off- warrenty replacement, window trim fell off- warrenty replacement, gass filler valve falling off- warrenty replacement, rear end squeaking, dashboard rattling, tuning knob doesnt work........

NorKoastal
12-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Those ARE VALID reasons.. LoL

DarkSyde
12-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Well, i think its gonna be hard getting rotors replaced under warranty. Rotors are just a thing that gotta be replaced either really early or sometimes luckly later on in the cars life.

Ive seen people on here replacing there rotors in the mid 25k miles so it isnt unusual.
Just bite the bullet and buy a nice set of cross drilled for 80 bucks on ebay :)

Maybe the reason that Pontiac won't fix the problem that they know they have is that their customers are willing to accept that they will have to replace their rotors every 15,000-30,00 miles or upgrade the parts. I have NEVER heard of this with ANY OTHER VEHICLE. In fact, my 74 Chevy still has the original rotors with over 300,000 miles on them. They still work and they do not vibrate at all.

korbendallas68
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Trade it.

spartan0199
12-09-2004, 07:07 AM
When my (2000 GT) had 35,000 miles on it I took it to the dealer because the rotors were warped and the dealer replaced the rotors and the pads under warranty. I've got 75,000 miles on it now with no issues.

brsexton
12-10-2004, 07:56 AM
If you get rid of your GM rotors and replace them with good parts, be sure to swap out your pads also. GM pads screwed up my rabestos rotors. I now have ceramic pads and napa rotors and they seem fine.