how to make heater and a/c deliver quicker? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : how to make heater and a/c deliver quicker?

ggagt00
12-09-2004, 02:09 AM
i dont know if this is just me or not, but in my friends cars and stuff. their cars seem to warm up quicker and push out a/c..... but if their is eny way to boost this process for my car. to make my car heat up quick and stuff.....because my girlfriend has a 99 se and hers heats up quicker than my car and i have a 00 :driving: gt.....eny suggestions of how i can get my car to warm up quicker?~?!?!?!?

Malaclypse
12-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Drive it? Don't let it sit and idle. Actually takes longer to warm up that way.

A/C you can't change.

Mike Jung
12-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Use Block Heater plug-in with a timer.

Try not to turn on the HVAC fan (or AC or Defoster setting) until the engine coolant is up to operating temperature; or use it at low.
If you try to use the heater on high when it is cold outside (before the engine is warmed-up, it takes forever to heat-up the car because you are taking heat out of the engine coolant for the heater.
If the AC light is on or if you are in the defoster mode: the AC can come on, which will turn on the engine coolant fans = car will take longer to warm-up.

Like Malaclypse said: drive your GA, instead of idling as soon as reasonably possible.

Azrael
12-09-2004, 05:35 PM
If it's really cold outside you can cover part of your radiator with carboard. Leave some of it uncovered especially the area by the fan. Helps me slightly in the winter anyways. Just remember to take it off when the weather gets warm again.

carsarecool
12-10-2004, 11:04 AM
just a thought...probly gonna get yelled at for this one but sometimes a few mins after starting i put it in drive and set the parking brake, i figured it would help the tranny warm up quicker- reason for that is, ive heard revving the engine with it in "drive" and your foot on the brake (so the wheels cant rotate-bad thing to do) really heats up the tranny and can burn it up, like RWD cars do on a brakestand. so i dont rev it, it just idles in drive, same as sitting in a drive thru or red light with your foot on the brake.

EDIT: no i dont mean i drive the car w/ the parking brake on, just let it sit for a few mins- haha i would DEF. get yelled at for that one-- no, i need my GA for a while :)

abusedgt97
12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
just a thought...probly gonna get yelled at for this one but sometimes a few mins after starting i put it in drive and set the parking brake, i figured it would help the tranny warm up quicker- reason for that is, ive heard revving the engine with it in "drive" and your foot on the brake (so the wheels cant rotate-bad thing to do) really heats up the tranny and can burn it up, like RWD cars do on a brakestand. so i dont rev it, it just idles in drive, same as sitting in a drive thru or red light with your foot on the brake.

EDIT: no i dont mean i drive the car w/ the parking brake on, just let it sit for a few mins- haha i would DEF. get yelled at for that one-- no, i need my GA for a while :)

So you get in your car, put it in drive, set the parking brake, and walk away? Smart.

As for warming the car up quicker, fire is always an option.

2003GaGt1
12-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Get autostart, mines warm every morning :)

CoopGT
12-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Here's a dumb question what size engines do you freinds have in there cars? If there 4's there going to heat up quicker than your 6 . Also have you changed you thermostate to a lower temp one that will also make it heat up slower.

CoopGT
12-10-2004, 05:54 PM

;psycho :banghead

carsarecool
12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
**flame suit on** i dont get out of the car, and it wont go anywhere w/ the brake on...

Molson
12-10-2004, 09:53 PM
That does nothing good.

Start the car, let oil press build up (10 secs) drive away.

02andahalfgt
12-10-2004, 10:19 PM
The gear the car is in has nothing to do with it. It's still just sitting there idling, and it takes longer to warm up no matter how it's idling.

Mike Jung
12-10-2004, 10:23 PM
...Start the car, let oil press build up (10 secs) drive away.
NOT if you have dino motor oil in your engine, when it is extremely COLD outside.

But you use Amsoil synthetic motor oil, so that is a different story.
Except when you told us once that your wheel bearings were frozen & your gear shift was a fight to work with lol

videoman
12-10-2004, 10:24 PM
The gear the car is in has nothing to do with it. It's still just sitting there idling, and it takes longer to warm up no matter how it's idling.

Exactely.. When the car is idleing there is less heat produced than when its in motion. Think about it... when you are driving and the engine is running at 2000-2500 RPM don't you think that would produce more heat than standing still at 6-700RPM??

P.S. don't do like carsarecool and put the car in drive with the parking brake on, thats just plain stupid. lol

Mike Jung
12-10-2004, 10:29 PM
How about putting the car in neutral with the parking brake on, after starting the car (with you sitting in the driver's seat).

I heard this from somewhere.
Maybe helps the ATF (tranny fluid) flow around a bit better when idling/parked (?).

videoman
12-10-2004, 10:36 PM
How about putting the car in neutral with the parking brake on, after starting the car (with you sitting in the driver's seat).

I heard this from somewhere.
Maybe helps the ATF (tranny fluid) flow around a bit better when idling/parked (?).

Unlike older chrysler trannies, GM did the smart thing of allowing full flow when the tranny is shifted in park. Chrysler on the other hand did it so that flow wouldn't happen till the car is in Neutral, which means their older trannies die alot quicker.

Just start your cars and allow about 20-30 sec's on a cold day for the everything to begins a smooth cycle, then drive away and enjoy the view. Better yet, if the temp in your area is lower than -10 then plug in your car and let the block heater keep your car toasty warm.

But trust me, there is no special trick or dark hidden way for your car to become magicly warm faster... and reving your engine hard when its cold will damage it and your tranny over time.

carsarecool
12-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Unlike older chrysler trannies, GM did the smart thing of allowing full flow when the tranny is shifted in park. Chrysler on the other hand did it so that flow wouldn't happen till the car is in Neutral, which means their older trannies die alot quicker.

Just start your cars and allow about 20-30 sec's on a cold day for the everything to begins a smooth cycle, then drive away and enjoy the view. Better yet, if the temp in your area is lower than -10 then plug in your car and let the block heater keep your car toasty warm.

But trust me, there is no special trick or dark hidden way for your car to become magicly warm faster... and reving your engine hard when its cold will damage it and your tranny over time.

haha, thats EXACTLY what i was trying to see if it worked, but apparently the tranny fluid and torque converter get warmed up even if the car is in park. i didnt know that, thanks videoman. i figured since it was in drive, the tranny was engaged and maybe would warm things up quicker, well i dont know much in the first place, so. and not to keep this going but if you put it in drive, and put the parking brake on all the way its not gonna go anywhere, even revving to 1500 or so- just thought at idle it warms quicker, plus i just had almost all the rear brake components replaced so my P.B. works pretty good. :whistle: