Just replaced Ignition cylinder, but security light is still on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Just replaced Ignition cylinder, but security light is still on

rizer
12-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Well, swap out my buddy's ignition lock cylinder today. Took 45 minutes. I got some pictures so i'll do a tech write if anyone wants.

Anyways, when i changed mine and turned the car on for the first time, it shut off and had to relearn the new code thingy. (which was suppose to happen)

Yet in my buddys 99gt, it started right up without shutting back off and the security light stays on while running. Whats up with that? He had the same problem as me where it wouldnt start for 10 minutes. Any idea why the lights still on? It'd suck if it wasnt the passlock in cylinder even though it was suppose to be im hoping.

Anyone with any idea? Id hate to have made the matters worse.

Malaclypse
12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
How is the condition of the key you're using? Does it look worn, bent, chewed up?

rizer
12-09-2004, 12:21 PM
It came with a new key, looksshiney and all

Edit*
I also just let it sit for 10 minutes on "On" just to see what happen and lights still on.

Malaclypse
12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Don't know what to tell you without looking at the car. Did you get the right part number of lock cylinder?

iceman
12-09-2004, 01:34 PM
anyone w/ a tech 2 should be able to pull the code for that light and help you troubleshoot further... def passlock problem tho could easily be something besides the cylinder

btw please see the announcement at the top of the section about useless thread titles.. I edited this one but don't use an open ended thread title like that in the future, makes searching much easier :thumbs:

redramair01
12-09-2004, 02:02 PM
The code in the tech 2 for the pass lock sensor is B2960: Security code correct but invalid, replace Passlock sensor. Mine is having the same problem.

rizer
12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
The cylinder that was replaced has the same part number as the old one..

The main passlock sensor is in the cylinder and not in housing the cylinder slides into, right?

rizer
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
oh, and sorry iceman :)

Malaclypse
12-09-2004, 11:45 PM
You need to replace both the cylinder and the housing it slides into. That's likely your problem if you didn't do that.

rizer
12-10-2004, 12:43 AM
You need to replace both the cylinder and the housing it slides into. That's likely your problem if you didn't do that.

heh, that sucks. Kinda weird it stopped it for me but not for him.
What would this part be called? We ran the car downstate tonight and its been started bout 8 times tonight with no problem, just the light staying on. Think its gonna cause more problems or will replacing the housing just shut the security light off?

Malaclypse
12-10-2004, 02:39 AM
The housing and lock cylinder are a match set. You need the one that came with the cylinder origionally. If you don't have that or can't get access to it then you'll have to buy a whole new cylinder and have it coded to whatever key you want to use.

rizer
12-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Okay, but will he be ok till he gets the housing?(car just not start?)
Cars been running fine with the light still on.

andrewe77
09-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I have the same problem. Did you ever figure it out or did the car continue to start fine and have the constant security light?

rizer
09-10-2006, 02:18 AM
The light stayed on constantly. I just turned it off with a tech 2 scanner

charbygt
09-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I had this security light flashing yesterday and learned the 10 min. trick. Will this happen again or is it a worn key. (Don't fix what ain't broke, there is always something electrical on a GT)

rizer
09-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Its gonna happen again, specially at the worst time. Before i replaced my lock cylinder, i noticed it always did it whenever i turned the key on hella fast.