URGENT HELP! Can't shift?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP! Can't shift?!

ronayne
12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi, I'm in need of help. I can't go from park to reverse! It happened before and after some wiggling came out of it. I tried for an hour tonight and I can't get it out of park. Is there any thing I can do before I call a wrecker? If I do get it to a shop is it a big problem that's going to cost me lots??

Thanks,
Ryan

PS '01 Grand Am GT

AznGA
12-10-2004, 04:02 PM
I am gonna be stupid for a second. You press the brake pedal when you are trying to do this right?

ronayne
12-10-2004, 04:03 PM
yes

AznGA
12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Could be something wrong with the thumb button.

2003GaGt1
12-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Will the button on the shifter press in?

ronayne
12-10-2004, 04:36 PM
yeah...i'm not sure if it's going in all the way, but it does go in. the dealer said it's probably something with the release lock. Is there any way I can release it without taking the whole console apart?

Kyle
12-10-2004, 07:22 PM
It could be your brake switch. The switch lets you shift out of park when applying the brake.

gobraves02002
12-10-2004, 09:28 PM
ok
around your shifter pry up the plastic piece that has the boot attached
once up on the passenger side you should a little whote clip
pull slightly on the bottome of the clip, this is what actually holds the shifter in the gear you desire
make sure you have your foot on brake when doing this
that should work
also u might wanna see if the u clip is in to hold the shifer in place, i would try hitting the shifter downward to see if it came up
hope it works

Mike Jung
12-10-2004, 09:34 PM
...Is there any way I can release it without taking the whole console apart?
Put key in ignition & turn to ACC, then put foot on brake (& make sure parking brake is set), put gear shift into neutral, start car (in neutral), release parking brake & go/drive.

When the key is in the ignition & turned to ACC, the brake/shifter interlock is NOT engaged.

ronayne
12-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Thank you!! Man, that got me out of a stress loaded weekend. My car has been sitting outside of a bank 20 miles away for the last 8 hours. I just went back and tried just turning the key to acc and it worked! I'm still gonna have to get it checked out, but at least I don't have to pay for a tow truck now. Thanks again to everybody for your help!

GrahamKracka
12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Put key in ignition & turn to ACC, then put foot on brake (& make sure parking brake is set), put gear shift into neutral, start car (in neutral), release parking brake & go/drive.

When the key is in the ignition & turned to ACC, the brake/shifter interlock is NOT engaged.

wow i never knew that.....good info

onesexyga
12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
The position of the steering wheel can also mess it up.

ronayne
12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Ok, last saturday I couldn't shift out of park. I was told to put the break on, turn the key to acc, and it would work. I did. Today it happened again where I couldn't get out of park. This time the acc trick still didn't work. I had also been told to pry off that plastic piece and flip a white switch. I got the plastic off but didn't see the switch. I did see something move so I pushed down on that and it came out of park. I drove to the dealership and they spent 4 hours taking it apart and they didn't find what was causing it!!! Now I'm nervous about going anywhere. Has anybody experienced anything like this??