steering wheel swap? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel swap?

G-ridn-wth-MR.T
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
? is, I have a 2000 GAGT- /with just cruise cntrl on the wheel. I wan't to know can I swap that with one that has remote radio cntrol already on the wheel without having to change any wiring harness? simply does the GT 3.4L models alredy come prepared with the wiring but just not given the option>for example all come w/power up to the seats in majority of cars today but not all get the pwr. seats put in. ----does anybody have some insite? Thanks..

MonoChrome83
12-11-2004, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong. If I were you, I'd go with an aftermarket headunit with a remote control, will probably be cheaper and you can control it outside your car. Hassle-wise it probably won't be worth it.

XMBlackGT1
12-11-2004, 08:50 AM
The GT1's came with the 6 way power seat and the steering wheel radio controls. The GT's just came with the power up and down seat and the plain steering wheel. You can switch the steering wheel, but you will have to purchase the GT1 steering wheel and also a different airbag coil, which the steering wheel controls plug into. You can't just swap wheels for it to work. The steering wheel is avail for about 120, and the airbag coil is for about 50 bux. Then the time to pull it, and transfer the airbag and all that good stuff.

AznGA
12-11-2004, 10:26 AM
I personally think it's just not worth all the hassle.

G-ridn-wth-MR.T
12-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the great info. This sounds like a peice of cake! Forgot to mention that I'm a certified tech. I've got plenty of connections to find these parts for mearly chump change.
I specialize in diagnostics, If you ever have a ? , hit me Up.----keep the wheels smokin__)))

louveres
12-11-2004, 06:41 PM
I would like to have the steering swapped to with one that has radio controls. If it's not more than $259, I say I would pay somebody to do it. Let me know how it works out for you.

XMBlackGT1
12-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I have an extra GT1 steering wheel with the buttons in it. I ordered 1 for my 03, and for some reason I got 2. If someone is interested, let me know. I believe that its out of a 2000 GT1 and in good shape. Leather is very soft, buttons have no marks or missing letters.

louveres
12-12-2004, 08:51 PM
XMBlackGT1, how much do you want for the steering wheel?

preed4962
12-13-2004, 09:00 AM
If you know of an easy way to change the airbag coil let me know... The large yellow wiring harness for that runs way up into the dashboard and then down back around to the left side fuse panel... I don't want to have to pull the whole dash out to rerun this wire.. I have a GT1 wheel waiting to go in my car. I still can't get past pulling the wheel though, that thing is on there good. I have used a couple different pullers but none of them seem strong enough to pull the wheel off. The service manual shows some weird style puller with just some feet on it (no bolts to screw into the wheel). Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Paul

XMBlackGT1
12-13-2004, 06:09 PM
XMBlackGT1, how much do you want for the steering wheel?

Hows 50 plus shipping sound? I'm in Madison WI, so shipping wouldnt be much. Let me know.

XMBlackGT1
12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
If you know of an easy way to change the airbag coil let me know... The large yellow wiring harness for that runs way up into the dashboard and then down back around to the left side fuse panel... I don't want to have to pull the whole dash out to rerun this wire.. I have a GT1 wheel waiting to go in my car. I still can't get past pulling the wheel though, that thing is on there good. I have used a couple different pullers but none of them seem strong enough to pull the wheel off. The service manual shows some weird style puller with just some feet on it (no bolts to screw into the wheel). Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Paul

Paul- the body shop that I took my car to, used a steering wheel puller- I guess you can get them from autozone for rent for like 50 bux. They put it behind the wheel, and it popped right off. Then the airbag coil came out easy. I have a airbag coil I could take a pic of, so you know what you are working with. To do my switch, it took about 45 mins, and 15 mins of that was trying to find a little screw that dropped under the seat. They didnt have to pull the dash out to run the wires, once the wheel was off, it was easy stuff.

louveres
12-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Hows 50 plus shipping sound? I'm in Madison WI, so shipping wouldnt be much. Let me know.

You have a PM