Strut help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Strut help

93 GT
12-11-2004, 02:45 PM
I am in the midle of replacing the right strut on my mothers 93 grand am . I have every thing unbolted and ready to come out besides the two bolts that hold the strut onto the spindle . I soked them suckers in lube , beet on them with a hammer and tried simply turning them out with a wrench since 4:00 yester day. Am I missing something here or am I just screwed ?

manic mechanic
12-12-2004, 07:59 AM
They are tough to remove. Get a breaker bar with a cheater pipe for leverage. They'll come off.

95-GT
12-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Once the nut is removed from the bolt, use a air hammer chisel with a punch to remove them.

93 GT
12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
manic mechanic, I got the nutts off the bolts but I can`t get the bolts out of thier holes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/76maverick/grandam2.jpg

and I can`t just put my breaker bar on them to thred them out because they arn`t a 6 or 12 point bolt, they are only two sided while the rest of them are round.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/76maverick/grandam3.jpg

95-GT, I don`t have an air hammer or any way of getting one. Even if I could get one , my air compressor isn`t big enough to power one. I have been beeting on them with my (hand powerd lol) hammer and them darn things havn`t moved at all!

95-GT
12-12-2004, 12:10 PM
I had to use a air hammer chisel with a punch ro remove mine. They were a biatch. Only other thing I can recommend is to take it to a shop. They shouldnt charge more then $140 to do the job. Thats 2 hours MAX of labor, and you provide parts.

Edit: Checked the books, its 2.2 hours labor, so they CAN get it done in 2 hours tops.

manic mechanic
12-12-2004, 01:21 PM
OK, things look promising. You got the nuts off.

Before you go any further you should scribe a line where the strut meets the knuckle so you can re align the new strut fairly close to the old where the old one sat, in order to minimize any alignment problems you'll have later. Also scribe around the three nuts at the top of the strut where the mount bolts to the strut tower (in the engine compartment). Remember too, that you'll have to get an alignment when you're done.

Now put the nuts back on a few turns (until the bolt is just below the surface of the nut - 5 turns?) and give them a few raps with a hammer. You may have to work them back and forth with some penetrating fluid. But they'll come off.

Have you destroyed the threads on the original bolts? Because if you have you will need new ones and I'm not sure if the new strut comes with new nuts and bolts.

One other point - try the breaker bar with a cheater pipe on the heads of the bolts to see if you can get them to spin. This will aid in getting the penetrating fluid (not WD 40) in to where you need it and help release the bolts.

Post back with your results.

95-GT
12-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Remember too, that you'll have to get an alignment when you're done.

Pfff who says? I never did and I didnt need one.

93 GT
12-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Pfff who says? I never did and I didnt need one.

You`r camber might be off a little and you`r won`t even know untill you need to buy new tires ;).

Only other thing I can recommend is to take it to a shop. They shouldnt charge more then $140 to do the job. Thats 2 hours MAX of labor, and you provide parts.

They wanted to charge 500 bux (parts and labor) , so I said never mind I`l do it my self.

Before you go any further you should scribe a line where the strut meets the knuckle so you can re align the new strut fairly close to the old where the old one sat, in order to minimize any alignment problems you'll have later. Also scribe around the three nuts at the top of the strut where the mount bolts to the strut tower (in the engine compartment). Remember too, that you'll have to get an alignment when you're done.

Yup its scribed like it should be and we are gonna get it aligned as sone as I get it inthere.

Now put the nuts back on a few turns (until the bolt is just below the surface of the nut - 5 turns?) and give them a few raps with a hammer. You may have to work them back and forth with some penetrating fluid. But they'll come off.

Have you destroyed the threads on the original bolts? Because if you have you will need new ones and I'm not sure if the new strut comes with new nuts and bolts.

A friend of my mothers brought his gas torch down and we heated it up realy hot and hammered the bolts out but yes we screwed the ends of the bolts up a little bit. I`ll grind the bad parts down and reuse them.

Tomorrow when I get up I`ll put the new strut on the car , it got a little too cold for me tonight :D

95-GT
12-12-2004, 06:59 PM
You`r camber might be off a little and you`r won`t even know untill you need to buy new tires ;).

Nope, tire wear is perfect ;)

93 GT
12-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Cool, good job !