RAM air - does it really work? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : RAM air - does it really work?

digitalquirk
12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi, I'm a new Grand Am GT owner. Bought a black '02 sedan last week. I love the ****pit feel; I like the performance, handling, and features of a car that cost thousands more. I lurked on this site for a while before making my decision, so I'm not quite as new as you think.

One thing that I wonder is if the RAM air is useful or not? I would think that it would be useful only at highway speeds. I can't see a 1/8 or 1/4 mile run being a good test of it's usefulness, because the most important part of that run happens at speeds below highway speeds. I personally found the GT to be much more responsive when passing on the highway than the non-GT 3400 V6 Grand Am in my test drives.

RamAirGT22
12-12-2004, 07:59 PM
I don't think so. Get a CAI instead. You arer prolly gonna get flamed about searching too.

Welcome! :)

AndyVTek
12-12-2004, 08:41 PM
First, I'd like to point out the fact that ****pit is censored... lol

Second, the Ram Air really isn't functional like you'd think it should be... it sounds cool and all, but if you look at the tubing underneath, it's just a tangled mess. I'm sure at some point, maybe 250 mph, you'd really get a ramming effect... maybe. CAIs are a nice upgrade, though... www.doctorspeed.com

Also... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, PLEASE!

AznGA
12-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Get rid of that damn Ram air thing. Shave those fender badges too. Get a CAI.
:)

MetaGTP1
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
'Ram Air' is just a GM marketing gimmick. :whistle:

onesexyga
12-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Im thinking of making a sort of ram air/cold air intake. I dont remember if it was the 442 or something, but they had ram air through below the bumper. If i put a cai in, i will get some sort of a ram air effect throught the bumper, since i cut out the holes. (see my car domain). The air is coming from outside the engine bay, so its cold, but its also effected by speed, so its ram air. Thats my gimmick.

sicc
12-13-2004, 10:55 AM
If you go through the trouble of actually sealing it all up correctly you will notice some top end gain. I had it done a lone time ago using some sheet metal and silicone to seal it all off.
I ended up taking it all back off about a year later in hopes I'd gain more low end then I had gained top end. I liked the CAI more because it sounded meaner, and it helped off the line a lot more.

Im thinking of making a sort of ram air/cold air intake. I dont remember if it was the 442 or something, but they had ram air through below the bumper. If i put a cai in, i will get some sort of a ram air effect throught the bumper, since i cut out the holes. (see my car domain). The air is coming from outside the engine bay, so its cold, but its also effected by speed, so its ram air. Thats my gimmick.

I remember somebody on here that had their cone sitting directly behind their driver side fog light, with the light removed. I don't remember who, but their avatar used to be a cat sitting inside of the fog light opening.

AMRAAM4
12-13-2004, 12:54 PM
CAI don't work either, hate to break it to you all who claim so much that they do.

Hexx
12-13-2004, 01:30 PM

http://www.cavalierconnection.com/Product%20Pics/Dual%20Ram%20Air%20Kit.jpg

Check that out.

onesexyga
12-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Not really like that. Im just doing a regular civic cai. its just that since the bumper is open it should be ram air to some effect.

atc3434
12-13-2004, 02:32 PM
CAI don't work either, hate to break it to you all who claim so much that they do.
??? In general, or as far as a ram air setup? Gotta be moving pretty fast to get ram air to work for you on a car that has a decent setup. Just a gimick on the GAGT, ducting's so tangled and restrictive. 90 degree bend doesn't help either. The CAI (cold air intake) is the way to go, IMO. I pull out my headlight at the track, so I can circulate cold air better, but it doesn't have any ram-air effect.

onesexyga
12-13-2004, 02:47 PM
How isnt that ram air. Isnt ram air by definition using the forward motion of the car to bring air into the engine. Granted the stock system isnt very effective, but i think a cai with a cut out in the bumper, or with the headlight off is the same idea.

atc3434
12-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Well, you've really gotta funnel the air directly into the intake tract. Have the fender open will insure lots of fresh air, but its not really going to have a raming effect of any kind.

onesexyga
12-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Eh, i think i just go plain ass cai and call it 'modified ram air' then its not false advertisement

AndyVTek
12-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Eh, i think i just go plain ass cai and call it 'modified ram air' then its not false advertisement

It's not ram air when your engine is sucking air in faster than it is being delivered from the environment... If you wanted air "rammed" into your engine, I'd recommend boosting. lol

onesexyga
12-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Trust me, if i had a turbo id def be changing the badges and brake light overlay. Id have that thing plastered with 'turbocharged'

crazypontiac03
12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Hell No, Its a Pro-Mo, Just to get you think its better then some other car. Get a WAI or a CAI, CAI has the most gain. Plus it sounds like a NASCAR when u put it in passing gear if u have a cat-back.

AMRAAM4
12-14-2004, 06:21 AM
??? In general, or as far as a ram air setup? Gotta be moving pretty fast to get ram air to work for you on a car that has a decent setup. Just a gimick on the GAGT, ducting's so tangled and restrictive. 90 degree bend doesn't help either. The CAI (cold air intake) is the way to go, IMO. I pull out my headlight at the track, so I can circulate cold air better, but it doesn't have any ram-air effect.
on a flat, dead statement, adding a CAI to your Grand Am/Neon/Cavalier/etc. etc. does nothing. If someone would like to put up the dyno and cash and cars, I'd be more than happy to prove it. CAI means nothing until you have compounding, serious, performance mods.

atc3434
12-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Bob, I would think that the difference between the stock airbox and the CAI would be noticable, especially on the top end. I know my SE, which is supposedly at a disadvantage because of the taller gearing, has been the fastest GA at the local track against three other cars, one with exhaust, and two stock. All of them have stock airboxes. I know, too many variables at the track, but its a pretty good indicator aginst three other stock cars that the CAI has been worth some gains. I would defintely say the combinded with free flowing exhaust, it should be worth some increase in power. Without starting WWIII, I'm curious to why you don't think the CAI produces any gain? Is it a factor of the computer not being able to take full advantage? I don't really know, I honestly appreciate a good discussion.

Hexx
12-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Bob, I would think that the difference between the stock airbox and the CAI would be noticable, especially on the top end. I know my SE, which is supposedly at a disadvantage because of the taller gearing, has been the fastest GA at the local track against three other cars, one with exhaust, and two stock. All of them have stock airboxes. I know, too many variables at the track, but its a pretty good indicator aginst three other stock cars that the CAI has been worth some gains. I would defintely say the combinded with free flowing exhaust, it should be worth some increase in power. Without starting WWIII, I'm curious to why you don't think the CAI produces any gain? Is it a factor of the computer not being able to take full advantage? I don't really know, I honestly appreciate a good discussion.

All the CAI does is move the powerband up into the higher RPMs.

There is no replacement for displacement. GM made the airbox design that way for a reason....it works.

digitalquirk
12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
First, I'd like to point out the fact that ****pit is censored... lol

I wonder if penispit, knobpit, bonerpit, and ****pit are censored...let's see! lol

Looks like ****pit, aka richardpit, is. lol

Orange Fusion
12-14-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure about the GA, but most cars do see gains on a dyno with a CAI, and even a WAI over the stock airbox. All factory air boxes are designed to quiet the intake of air into the engine, so they are all restrictive as h3ll. Most people wouldn't buy a car if it sounded like it was going to inhale small children under hard acceleration.

atc3434
12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure about the GA, but most cars do see gains on a dyno with a CAI, and even a WAI over the stock airbox. All factory air boxes are designed to quiet the intake of air into the engine, so they are all restrictive as h3ll. Most people wouldn't buy a car if it sounded like it was going to inhale small children under hard acceleration.

I would! Yea, I think you're right, I don't see how the factory airbox setup, with all its bends and twists, can draw anywhere near as much air as the CAI. The air makes 4 90 degree bends is what is fairly small tubing. I don't see how that can flow as much air as the CAI that only makes one easy 90 degree bend in larger tubing.