LIM Gasket Leak Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Gasket Leak Question

micchekka
12-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know why the Low Coolant light blinks on and off during the LIM Leak? Why wouldn't it jsut stay on? MIne come on only when going up a steep hill that I have to travel on the way to work in the morning. I top it off about 1 every month, but no overheating or anything.

Thanks.

eaglesrealm
12-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Two things...

1) It goes on like that because of the sensor location. When you drive up a hill, accellerate fasat, etc...you are pushing fluid back in the tank and it trips the sensor. Then as you have a stable velocity or are on more flat land again...the fuild is level again and barely is making the switch that says fluid level is "ok".

2) Topping it off is ok, but dangerous. You should get this fixed if you do not want to run the risk of severely damaging your car. Especially if it is leaking internally. It can start eating away at your engine components and destroy your engine.

How many miles do you have on the car?? I had 70,000 and GM still picked up all but $150.00 of the cost. I b$tched about GM a lot with this car and my Alero, but I found that price to be fair for a vehicle with that many miles on it. Just make sure they know you are upset and want some sort of comprimise!! :)

micchekka
12-14-2004, 02:02 PM
How did you get GM to pick up the cost without a warranty? What number did you call or did you go to a Pontiac dealer? I have 60,000 miles on the car.

So it is possible that this isn't the dreaded LIM Leak, and just a flaw in teh way they positioned the sensor?

Thanks.

eaglesrealm
12-14-2004, 05:17 PM
No, I would say that the sensor design and location is fine. It is just that when people accelerate with low fluid levels, you will often trip the sensors for a brief moment. It really ends up acting as a prewarning that you are running out of fluid. Same happens often on window washer fluid, etc.

As for how I did it with GM...nothing special. I went in with the knowledge that this was a huge issue for GM and that I was a good, loyal customer that expected to get some assistance from GM for the repair. I believe I also mentioned reading/knowing people that had GM pay for a chunck of it. The Dealership that I use is actually very good, and even though I was beginning to hate GM again as a corporation, I actually liked the dealerships work and attitude. The service rep. at the dealership called GM after I left and got back to be later in the day. He told them that I was a loyal, good customer and they authorized the work to be done for what would have been the deductable if I had the extended warranty. (In this case, $150 was what they decided). Knowing the costs, mileage on the car, etc...I thought this was a fair comprimise and was happy to accept this deal.

*knock on wood* It has been fine ever since.

intence
12-14-2004, 09:32 PM
You're more likely to get assistance if you've done most of your servicing at the dealer. Otherwise you can call Pontiac customer assistance, and they'll try to help you too, although you'll need to have the problem officially diagnosed at a dealer.