Steering wheel vibrating at a stop.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel vibrating at a stop..

HotLikeFire
12-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi guys,

So I noticed awhile back that when im sitting at a stop, the steering wheel vibrates and when I accelerate - even when the car has warmed up it sometimes hesitates to shift and then once I get going and stay at a constant speed on the highway, I can feel the rumbling a bit just like the vibrations in the steering at a stop. Only now its rumbling in the car as well as the wheel, if that makes any sense at all. I don't know how to describe it because I don't know anything about cars/engines/etc. I know its not anything to do w/tires because I just had new ones put on and because it vibrates at a stop. Anyone know what this might be?

kse73
12-14-2004, 09:14 AM
How long has it been doing this? Sometimes a batch of bad gas can have such effects but it sounds like it has been happening longer than that. Or possibly motor mounts? I dont know - Im sure someone else will chime in w/ a little more knowledge than I.

NorKoastal
12-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Sounds like its mis firing... Have you changed your plugs/wires lately?? How many miles does your car have?? Do you get gas at the same company or mix n match? What repairs have you done on the cars lately??

HotLikeFire
12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
No new repairs. I bought the car at about 49K mi’s and now its just past 60k. I haven’t had any maintenance work done on it but its due for another oil change – so no new spark plugs/wires. No I do not always get gas at the same place – should I be??? It’s been doing this for a few months.

HotLikeFire
12-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Bumpity Bump Bump :)

BTarb24
12-14-2004, 10:54 PM
do you hear any strange noises from the engine bay? checked your air or fuel filters? possibly its being starved?

HotLikeFire
12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
do you hear any strange noises from the engine bay? checked your air or fuel filters? possibly its being starved?

Well when its cold and I first start it obviously im hearing the lifters and after it warms up that goes away. As far as checking the filters, one must know how to do that in order to do it and well, im a silly girl who has no idea! But I don't hear anything that I know of... I also don't believe it does any of this when in park if that means anything. But at a stop light today I could feel the rumbling in my seat. It seems like it might be getting a little worse.

BTarb24
12-15-2004, 12:29 PM
the air filter is in the big black box that is next to your battery. the fuel filter isnt really checkable, it is more of a 'if you think it's bad then replace it' kind of part. You can definitely replace the air filter by urself, but the fuel filter most likely will require a little experienced help. Air filter can even be purchased at walmart.

almost every car will have a slight amount of vibration when you are at a stop light. The car is still in drive and is trying to pull the car forward but is being resisted by the brakes. so some vibration is normal, especially without any funky sounds from the engine.

If the car hesitates to shift then i would get your transmission checked out. The fluid most likely needs changed. I believe it's only rated to last ~30,000 miles.

vibration while driving down the highway is normal as well. It can most often be corrected by getting an allignment and having your wheels balanced. The tires should have been balanced when you bought them, but there is always room for error. Also, i would check your tire pressure in each tire to make sure that they are all the same. 32-35psi is what you're lookin for.

Hopefully at least one of these things can help you. But overall i would be looking for a fix for the vribration at a stop light seperately from the vibration while on highway. I'll almost guarantee that they are two seperate problems. Any vibration from the engine would most likely be eliminated or drowned out by something else by the time u get to highway speeds.

HotLikeFire
12-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Thank you very much! When I get the cash I plan to have the 50k maintenance done on it. I can't change wires myself correct? I assume I need my mechanic to do the spark plug wires. I had the tranny checked out about 5 months ago, but then again it wasn't doing what it is doing now, 5 months ago. I guess I assumed a light would come on if there were any problems w/the tranny. Too bad it costs money to get a computer check run on my car. Tires are at 30. Im not sure why because I always thought they should be at 32 also, but then I read in the manual that they should be at thirty which is probably why Tires Plus had them at 30psi. I am not so concerned about the vibration at high speed but more so while im sitting there at a light. Although it doesn't make noise it FEELS like im sitting in an older car you know? Anyways thanks, i'll probably just take it in when I get some cash. :)

BTarb24
12-15-2004, 12:59 PM
You can do your plug wires yourself if you want, they arent too challenging. To get new plugs and wires it will cost around 50~100 depending on the brands you buy. Here is a link on how to change them.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36512

You wont get a light for the dirty tranny fluid, but i would definitely get that flushed soon if you are getting hesitation.

A few places will give a free basic diagnostic. so it might be a good idea to ask around and see if a garage will check out the vibration when sitting in gear. couldnt hurt. If they think it's missfiring then they most likely will take a quick glance at your plugs/wires and let you know what they think of their condition.

getting your fuel/air filters changed might be a good cheap idea as well. if anything just for the ease of mind and being sure that they are new and clean. The filters themselves will cost you ~15$ total. If you have someone install them for you it will be like 50 bucks or so i guess.

The air filter is easy tho, just look at the right side of your engine for a big black box with 2-3" ribbed hose coming out of it. just simply undo the ?2? clips that are holding the top lid of the box on and then you will be staring at the filter. If its kinda brown then replace it. also, get any leaves or other junk that may be trapped under the filter. lots of crap can blow in through the stupid ram air system.

here is a how to on how to change the fuel filter.. might want experienced supervision.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41090

HotLikeFire
12-15-2004, 02:49 PM
okay so im going to change plugs and wires and probably upgrade to something better than what I have. Not sure what though......

I have a friend who is a very experience mechanic however he is very stingy w/his service and diagnostic computer because it was 'expensive'.. as if the asswipe doesn't make enough $$ on the side.

I will also be checking out the air filter and possibly/most likely replacing it.

I will keep my friend around to watch and make sure im doing everything correctly though. Thanks man.

BTarb24
12-15-2004, 04:49 PM
sure thing babe, good luck =)