Security Issues? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Security Issues?

Requiemsrevenge
12-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey guys i have a question I hope you can help me with. I have a 2001 GA Gt and im having a problem with it. It has something to do with the cyclinder that your keys go into. What happens is that when you turn the key, the car almost starts. It sounds like its trying to start but it gets to almost turning over and it cuts out. I was told that the car thinks that its getting stolen and shuts itself off. Now i had this problem in the past fixed. The dealer fixed it when it was covered under warrenty, but now i am out of warrenty and the repair was done over a year ago. I called ponitac asking if they would cover it but they wont. They said since it was a year old repair that i would have to get it fixed and then send them the receipt and they would "try" to help me. Well i was wondering if anyone heard of this problem and know anyway to make it not happen again. I Like the car but getting discouranged about the whole thing.

Sorry for the long post.

CHris

rizer
12-14-2004, 01:02 PM
lol, "anyone heard of this problem?". I take it you didnt search. Do a quick search for it and theres countless threads about it.

To help, it is you passlock sensor going bad. The sensors built into the ignition lock cylinder so the whole cylinder has to be replaced. Part alone cost bout $160 at the dealer. After everything, i bet you'd be paying around $400 out the door at the dealer. So doing it yourself is much recommended.
I did a how-to on how to change your cylinder. It just shows the cylinder and not the housing. your gonna need the cylinder and housing, but the how-to will give you a idea.

G'luck

rizer
12-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Oh, incase you dont know. When it does to the security error. Just stick the key to "on" and in 10 minutes its relearned the code and you can restart the car