What the heck is this? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

digitalquirk
12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
I've only had my GAGT for a few days, and noticed a hole in the passenger side rear door frame, right next to the door latch. Is this supposed to be here? Should I be concerned? I've attached an image of it, hopefully the experts here can tell me if I should be concerned or not. I have 30 days (well, more like 24 now) to exchange it for another car if I want to, and I have an extended warranty.

redramair01
12-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Bullet holes maybe? are you dealing man? j/k

digitalquirk
12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Now, I don't want to influence anyone's opinion, but my first thought was that it was a blown weld when it was being manufactured and got past quality. If that's all it is, then I'll get it fixed under the warranty...but if it's a sign that it's been hit in an accident, I'm trading it back in.

And no, it's definitely not a bullet hole...;)

brsexton
12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Is it a hole? if so, I have seen these after the Dent Doctor people get out ding dents. What they do is drill holes on the jam area, then stick some sort of thing in the hole and work the dent out of the panel. Most of the time they put a rubber cap over the hole though.

redfox
12-14-2004, 07:51 PM
quick do a carfax

intence
12-14-2004, 09:25 PM
So it's not actually on the body itself, it's on the inner part of the door panel? The dealer should be able to tell you if it's a blown weld or not, just make sure you go to a good dealer. If you can return/exchange it, couldn't you just get another similar GA GT without the hole?

Did you get the car from a GM dealer, aftermarket dealer, or private sale?

digitalquirk
12-15-2004, 07:00 AM
I got the car from a local GM dealership. I did a carfax, and nothing unusual came up, just 3 records...the original buyer, the dealership buying it on trade, and me. It's a GM Optimized used car, but after finding the air box and filter full of dirt, I have to wonder just how optimized it was... :rolleyes: I think I'm going down there today to bring some things to their attention.

I've attached a close-up of the hole at a higher .jpg quality.

digitalquirk
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
I took it to the dealership today. They verified that it appeared to be a drilled hole. The service tech thinks it's from some kind of adjustment or repair that was done, but he doesn't know what. If you look in the 1st picture, one of the welds that holds the back plate in is dented in. Since there's no indication that the car's been in an accident, they suspect that the car may have had the body side repaired during assembly prior to paint, but nothing can be confirmed. They are going to fix this for me, along with the front window (scratches).

I also complained about finding the air box full of dirt and the air filter filthy on a car that was supposedly "GM Optimized," they're offering to reimburse me on the replacement air filter I put in. All I do is bring in a receipt for the air filter and the old, filthy air filter. I replaced it with a K&N, so looks like I'm going to get a free K&N air filter out of them! Makes it all worth it.

zelda4325
12-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Thats good that they are going to fix it along witht hose damn sctraches on the windows. Good job wi th buying the k&N air filter if i thoughtof that when i got my grand am i would have tried that too.