Knocking noise in the suspension [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise in the suspension

JermsGAGT03
12-15-2004, 10:09 AM
since the day I bought my GT I have had this knocking noise in the front end suspension. I've taken it back to the dealer over 10 times with this problem and they finally told me they didn't know what was wrong with it and that they thought it was just a characteristic of the car. But here in the past 2 months it's gotten really bad. Does anyone else have this problem or know what the problem could be?

Braves299
12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
could be bad struts

NorKoastal
12-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Strut mounts.... Only over bumps?? How is the ride?? Bouncy or stiff??

BTarb24
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
does driving speed or turning have any change to how often it makes the sound?

did the dealer replace anything? if so, what did they replace?

SC/TGrandAm
12-15-2004, 03:38 PM
its those damn strut mounts, mine makes that clunk over bumps too.. err.

If you turn your car on leave it in park and turn the steering wheel from side to side you can hear the clunk as well. If so yep strut mounts.

manic mechanic
12-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Lube those strut mounts and that will quiet them down.

Do this by getting a can of white grease in a spray can (rattle can) with an extension tube that attaches to the nozzle.

Open the hood and spray generously into the small vertical slits located in the top strut mount (black rubber part) on both sides.

Give it some time and you'll be amazed.

WhiPontiac
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Could be the strut mounts or a cracked control arm bushing. I just had to replace a bushing because it was bad and making a knocking noise.

JermsGAGT03
12-18-2004, 12:31 PM
The dealer says that they replaced both of the struts and the stut mounts. they told me that they replaced everything they knew to replace but yet the noise keeps getting worse and worse. I also hear the noise when I turn the wheel from side to side. The rides a little stiff no different than the day I bought it. I t was making this really bad rubbinh noise when I turned my wheels and I took it back for that and they told me the tires were rubbing the rims because of some pattern on the tire so my warranty paid for two new front tires and that made the noise stop. I'm gonna try that method for lubing the stut mounts though.

crazypontiac03
12-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Mine also does it but only when i make hard turn's. Its not that bad, it only does it sometime's.

juanvan
12-18-2004, 04:11 PM
did they replace the swap bar links? I had a noise in the front end changed them and now its gone.

JermsGAGT03
12-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I never remember them saying anything about replacing those. All they ever talked about was the struts and the strut mounts.

JermsGAGT03
12-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Well I was driving home from my GF's house tonight and somethng broke in the front end suspension and now it sounds like somthings hanging down from the car and dragging on the pavement. I'm gonna have to take it to the shop tomorrow cuz I don't think it's gonna make it much longer. I tried that lubbing trick and I thought it sounded better but it didn't go away completely and then this tonight.

juanvan
12-22-2004, 09:27 AM
well that is not a good time... G.l