removal of cover on air filter...sounds louder for air intake [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : removal of cover on air filter...sounds louder for air intake

ggagt00
12-15-2004, 11:20 PM
well not that i have still but i had removed the top cover to the air filter for the ram air duct. i noticed that when i took it off and went for a drive that the engine sound's noticably louder, now with this cover off, is it bad for the ol engine?....i mean the air filter is still there but the cover is off leaving the air intake naked within the engine when the hood is closed....is this bad or good in a way??.......right now its winter and would the cold air be good if this cover was off .......please let me know, just curious ..thanx

SC/TGrandAm
12-15-2004, 11:25 PM
errr.. thats bad because now your box isnt sealed and your taking all kinds of dust and crap into the engine. Just a reminder dust doesn't like to combust very well and will play havoc with your rods and nice things like that...

If you like that throaty sound get a warm air intake (WAI) its actually louder with one of those and safer than taking that cover off.

BTarb24
12-16-2004, 01:06 AM
ouch, yea put that back together asap! filter is there for a reason.. you are essentially just shoveling piles of dirt into your engine. I doubt that it would even make it through the winter like that without seizing.

Pvt_Murphy
12-16-2004, 01:14 AM
you can get a spare cover, and cut the top of it off; so it'll still hold the filter in place but is open up top

SC/TGrandAm
12-16-2004, 02:19 AM
^ the top cover has the inlet that takes air into the engine....the bottom part has the inlets that pull in the outside air. Meaning it doesnt matter if he has the filter in there or not its not working... Cut a hole in the top and its the same deal.

Take a look at your stock air box and you'll see what I mean...

But man get a real air filter (CAI, WAI) before you grenade your engine.

Pvt_Murphy
12-16-2004, 02:33 AM
Right, been a while since I've seen one: in that case: cut hole into the bottom or something, that or just get a K&N.

sicc
12-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Right, been a while since I've seen one: in that case: cut hole into the bottom or something, that or just get a K&N.

That's what I've done to my saturn until I can get a CAI. Sounds pretty good.

BTarb24
12-16-2004, 06:37 AM
yea, cutting a hole in the bottom isnt as bad... at least that way u still have a filter. and if ur lucky all the excess dust, leaves and junk may fall out the hole that u cut =P