Power steering leak(how do i get this off?) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leak(how do i get this off?)

BTarb24
12-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Attached is a picture of where my leak is. It is under the drivers side of the car and there is a hardline coming down and then it switches to a softline. The adapter they used is metal and it appears to be solid.. no crimps. I tried to tug hard on the softline but it simply will not come out.

How do i get the softline free so that i can replace it AND the connector?
Does anyone have a repair manual to look it up in?

BTarb24
12-16-2004, 12:37 PM
I just called Advance Auto Parts and they said that they only sell the entire line all in one piece for 59$ which is not really the option that i would like to go for. I have already replaced the power steering pump for 110$. Also, just running the line sounds like a big pain.

Does anyone know a way to disconnect these to replace the connector. Or do you think i could clean that up and just coat the thing with sealant to prevent leaks?

juanvan
12-18-2004, 04:06 PM
to remove that u need a set of ring expanders. Take a look at u'r front brake lines you will see that they are the same setup. I must say that it is in a hard-to reach area.

And I don't think u will be able to just put sealent on it, b/c the P/S fluid does get hot.

G/l

BTarb24
12-18-2004, 07:53 PM
i had emailed a dealer this exact picture and they said i had to get the whole hose, which they said was the power steering pressure line. so i ordered the hose from carquest and it was the wrong one. so i call the dealer back and tehy said the other hose is a power steering return line and it is discontinued. i called around to all the part stores in pgh and sure enough, cant buy it anywhere. went to gmpartsdirect and they have it listed, but when i add it to the cart it puts the wrong part in it. tried to find a phone number to call them but they literally dont have a phone system, you HAVE to email them. so i did and told them what was going on and what part numberi need and asked how i would go about ordering it. they replied saying to email them my vin number, so i said screw it. im going to take the old bad hose to a hydraulic hose and fittings shop and have them make me a replica.

juanvan
12-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Its discontinued!!!! I would um get the part number call GM and tell them look the car is not 20 years old there is a law that a car must have all the piece available for the first 20 years of its life. B/c dealers use to make the car then stop making the pieces to force ppl to purchase new cars.
So your dealer is bull sh*ting you. I would go to a diffrent dealer with the picture or piece and the VIN number of you car.

00whitegagt
12-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Mine broke on me a few years back, my freinds dad cut then re-attached the line but it only lasted a few months. So I ended up haveing to replace the line anyways. So save yourself the trouble and just buy the line and replace it.

Your lucky i had to pay $110 for that line.

BTarb24
12-19-2004, 12:11 PM
im not so sure.. advance auto, pep boys, carquest and all those car part stores no longer carry it and cant order it. I most likely can get it cheaper by having a hydraulic hose and fitting shop custom fabricate one anyway, so ill go there monday and see what kind of quote they give me. i'll let u guys know how much its runs.

preed4962
12-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Sounds to me like the hose was superceded to a new part number, thats why when you added it to your cart at GMPartsDirect the p/n changed. OEM must supply parts for 10 years after final year of production.

BTarb24
12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
very well could be, but judging by the part name i doubt it in this case. here are the 3 parts that are listed as power steering return lines for a 99 grand am 3.4 V6 from gmpartsdirect.com

In-Line4 26068108 *
V6, Gear To Cooler 26070058 *
V6, Gear To Pump 26055389

i tried to add gear to pump, which is what i need, and kept getting in-line4. could be same part or a working part, but at the current moment that is the least of my worries. there serioulsy is no possible way for me to get this the nut loose that is holding the line to the steering gear. i have about 2 inches of wrench room under the car (not even enough for a quarter turn of a wrench). and reaching down behind the engine i can get around 3-5 inches of wrench room, but with obviously no torque since i have to reach at close to full extension to get the wrench on the nut. when my roommate comes home i am going to try to have one person under and above the car to do a tag team effort on the wrench but i doubt it will work. I may just say screw it and take wire snips and cut the metal hose off right near the nut and slip a deepwell socket over it, but then itll cost me more to get the hose custom made because they wont be able to reuse the metal parts of the line anymore(which are still good) grrr, GM is the devil!! :rage: