Paint question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Paint question

TransAmMan
12-16-2004, 08:46 PM
I recently inquired about fixing the bumper on my fathers car, well we orderd all the parts, bumper, fog light , etc. Now my question is how do we paint the bumper? Where do we get the paint and what tools do we need. I want it to look good but I don't want to pay fortune you know what I mean? It's silver, 2002 grand am GT. Thanks for any help, really appreciate it guys.

Dexman1349
12-17-2004, 11:42 AM
I would advise taking it to a small body shop. Usually they will be able to paint it for just a little more than you would be able to by yourself, especially if you don't have the tools. To do it yourself you would need spray gun, hoses, air compressor, and a 100% dust free work environment (almost impossible to do, unless you have access to a paint booth). Then the hard part would be to match the paint. Even though it's a 2002, the paint has faded/changed due to exposure to the elements (especially here in CO).

My advice, shop around at a few various body shops. I know a couple of guys here in Denver who might be able to help.

Guga2495
12-17-2004, 01:16 PM
yea man, your going to need a compressor paint guns lots fo stuff believe me you need a lot of stuff i have it all but yea it cost me a fortune and a half

GALover
12-17-2004, 01:52 PM
No bull, go pro on this one.

eren00gt
12-17-2004, 02:15 PM
I had considered having mine repainted cause of some rash on it but decided against it. The guy at the body shop I talked to said that it is near impossible to get the right flex agent formula to keep the paint from cracking if it is ever lightly bumped. Apparently the way the factory does their flex additive to the paint is hard to reproduce and you run into the likelihood that the paint will crack if even barely bumped. But I don't know that much about it so I am not 100% on this.

Guga2495
12-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Yea...I Would suggest though going to a body shop, ive never painted any major pieces on my car, like body wise cause its important to have a dust free room, so id say go pro it will look excellent and its not too expensive.