Boiling liquid noise when car is shut off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Boiling liquid noise when car is shut off

applexpanther
12-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Lately i've been noticing a boiling sound after i shut my car off. i havent noticed it before. its not throwing any service lights and not running irregularly. The temp outside has been in 20s, 30s. Actually it sounds more like someone ripping one in the bathtub haha. But i cant figure out what itd be..unless theres water where theres not suppose to be.. or the previous owners installed a water heater somewhere. :P
any ideas?

SC/TGrandAm
12-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Have you tried poping your hood while you are hearing this noise?

Could be that your dexcool coolant is boiling so much that its boiling over and going out the overflow tube....

applexpanther
12-17-2004, 01:03 AM
no i havent tried checking anything really. i just heard it and thought hmm that probably isn't normal. so thought id do a lil check on here first.

is it suppose to boil?

SC/TGrandAm
12-17-2004, 01:36 AM
It will boil if you've been driving for rather long time or hard driving. Its not necessarily suppossed to but its not the end of the world if it does...

brsexton
12-17-2004, 09:08 AM
I hear that noise in my 03 alero sometimes. I have always heard it off and on since it was new. But the noise I hear is not that loud and only last for a few seconds. It just a light bubble noise after the car is shut off. To me, it sounds like it comes from behind the glove box.

Slim
12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Have you been driving with you car on the defrost setting? The compressor runs in this position and sometimes the a/c system makes odd noises when you shut off the car.

CoopGT
12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
You may also want to have the Radiator cap pressure tested to make sure it has a good seal. The boiling point of antifreeze & water should be in the 250 range I'm not really sure , if the Rad cap is good . Even if you had straight water in there with a good cap it shouldn't boil til around 230 . You can super heat water with out boiling when under pressure. Just my 2c.

cavingman
12-17-2004, 06:53 PM
its comin from the back of the car i bet. its the gas sloshin around in the tank from recently stopping.

CoopGT
12-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Lol

applexpanther
12-18-2004, 02:09 PM
its comin from the back of the car i bet. its the gas sloshin around in the tank from recently stopping.

no offense but thats most ridiculous thing ive heard so far. I dont normally pull into my driveway at 120mph and stop on a dime and shut the engine off IMMEDIATLY after i stop.. and i beleive the sloshing of the gas tank would stop within seconds of me stopping the car....and i also dont think that it would slosh SOOOOO loud that it would sound like something is boiling from the FRONT of the car. oh wait maybe your right...i forgot that i relocated my gas tank to my passenger seat.
thanks for the help man.. problem solved.

Cnix16
12-18-2004, 02:29 PM
could be a heater core problem.

applexpanther
12-18-2004, 02:30 PM
could be a heater core problem.
whats that?

cavingman
12-18-2004, 02:54 PM
hey, your the genius asking whats boiling behind your dash. and you dont know what a heater core is?
next time you pull into your driveway, turn the radio off and turn your head to the right then shut your car off. i can hear mine everytime.
oh wait, maybe my car is boiling again.

applexpanther
12-18-2004, 03:14 PM
hey, your the genius asking whats boiling behind your dash. and you dont know what a heater core is?
next time you pull into your driveway, turn the radio off and turn your head to the right then shut your car off. i can hear mine everytime.
oh wait, maybe my car is boiling again.

it makes the noise when sittin idle for long periods of time also. i could be wrong, but i dont think gas is going to slosh for a period of more than a few seconds..as i said its a boiling noise...which is quite distinct from a sloshing of gas in the gas tank.

Sleepwalkr
12-18-2004, 11:54 PM
no offense but thats most ridiculous thing ive heard so far. I dont normally pull into my driveway at 120mph and stop on a dime and shut the engine off IMMEDIATLY after i stop.. and i beleive the sloshing of the gas tank would stop within seconds of me stopping the car....and i also dont think that it would slosh SOOOOO loud that it would sound like something is boiling from the FRONT of the car. oh wait maybe your right...i forgot that i relocated my gas tank to my passenger seat.
thanks for the help man.. problem solved.

No offense here either, but that was just a flat out a jerk-off response. I understand what you were saying simply because I hear the same thing once in a while in my car, and I'm not concerned about it whatsoever. However, Cavingman was just throwing out idea's to actually help you figure out what the problem is. If I knew exactly why the boiling sound was there, I probably wouldn't even tell you because when someone's trying to help resolve an issue you come to them for... any decent, half-way intelligent person doesn't tell them they're an idiot for even suggesting such a thing. Yeah, you're welcome. I don't even think anyone on this board who knows why its boiling should even tell you now.

RedGT2004
12-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Lately i've been noticing a boiling sound after i shut my car off. i havent noticed it before. its not throwing any service lights and not running irregularly. The temp outside has been in 20s, 30s. Actually it sounds more like someone ripping one in the bathtub haha. But i cant figure out what itd be..unless theres water where theres not suppose to be.. or the previous owners installed a water heater somewhere. :P
any ideas?
I believe this the sound of the oil draining back to the oil pan.

History101
12-19-2004, 12:48 AM
woow yall are a bunch of little ****en girls stop bitching at each other and grow up

applexpanther
12-19-2004, 03:24 PM
No offense here either, but that was just a flat out a jerk-off response. I understand what you were saying simply because I hear the same thing once in a while in my car, and I'm not concerned about it whatsoever. However, Cavingman was just throwing out idea's to actually help you figure out what the problem is. If I knew exactly why the boiling sound was there, I probably wouldn't even tell you because when someone's trying to help resolve an issue you come to them for... any decent, half-way intelligent person doesn't tell them they're an idiot for even suggesting such a thing. Yeah, you're welcome. I don't even think anyone on this board who knows why its boiling should even tell you now.

sorry that it offends you so dearly. but when someone makes a completey ill-logical response to what my problem it just wastes time. NO ONE, hears their gas tank sloshing around after more than a few seconds of sitin still. besides ive never heard my gas tank slosh anyways....and its not my gas tank sloshing...cuz it just started hapening..and it hapens when im SITTIN STILL...not when i pull up and stop and shut my car of and turn my head to the right all in the same second as that guy was recomending. the only possible solution was by sct guy his actualy makes sense...but when u guys come on here and are like...."hey maybe its your tail lights" dont be freakin stupid. but i guess if u think that those COULD really be the problems causing the noises then i'll just roll my eyes, keep my mouth shut and wait for someone else to comment.

Mike_99GAGT
12-19-2004, 09:38 PM
lol.....ripping one in the bathtub!.....

just make sure you have your coolent topped up, its more than likey just the fluids draining back down to the bottom of the system, the noise you hear might just be air bubbles raising up.....also, park on some dry surface, and check to see it theres anything dripping

prolly not a big deal......if it is boiling, check on a cool night for steam with a light under your car

out!
good luck

carsarecool
12-20-2004, 04:27 PM
well has your coolant ever been flushed? this is a shot in the dark but maybe its the wrong mixture- the bottle says "50-50 dex/cool and water protects to 250 degrees" or around there, if theres significantly more water than coolant that might be whats causing it to boil, like somebody just adding water instead of the mixture

applexpanther
12-20-2004, 04:51 PM
well has your coolant ever been flushed? this is a shot in the dark but maybe its the wrong mixture- the bottle says "50-50 dex/cool and water protects to 250 degrees" or around there, if theres significantly more water than coolant that might be whats causing it to boil, like somebody just adding water instead of the mixture

hmm that sounds like a reasonable explanation. I dont know for sure i havent had the car very long. thanks ill check it out