maintenance/tune up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : maintenance/tune up

cals400ex
12-18-2004, 12:26 AM
i am looking to do a little tuning up on my GA. i have noticed that the fuel economy is getting noticable worse. my car has 60K on it. i was just wondering what all i should check/replace. i will be doing plugs, wires, and fuel filter. i run a K&N filter and that is clean. fuel filter only has 25K on it, but i will change it anyways. tires are rotated and air pressure is good. what else should i consider changing or checking? i know that dang sensor in the trans is bad because it won't shift worth a crap at full throttle on the 1-2 shift, but i am not going to mess with that. i am not sure what plugs and wires to get either. we have had nothing but bad luck with the taylors, so i would like to stay away from them and try msd or something similar if possible. i have no idea on what plugs to run?? any suggestions would be great. thanks

xxbackhillxx
12-18-2004, 03:21 AM
usually with colder weather your mpg's will drop somewhat. i wouldnt be freakin out too much.

brsexton
12-18-2004, 05:07 AM
usually with colder weather your mpg's will drop somewhat. i wouldnt be freakin out too much.

Yeah, I have the Ecotec and mine have went way down since it has gotten cold.

AndyVTek
12-18-2004, 05:44 AM
I think you mentioned most of it... Check your plugs and wires after 50,000 miles. Typically wires will last well past 100k miles, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade (I have MSD, btw... they're nice). As far as plugs, AC Delco at your local Pep Boys work just fine. I think they run maybe $5.99 a piece. Or the NGK, which I have in my GA ---> www.doctorspeed.com carries NGK and MSD.

That whole bad sensor and shift problem isn't just your GA, though. It's just about
everyone's, including people who have the DHP reprogram...

Other than that, you should be set.

cals400ex
12-18-2004, 10:48 AM
yeah, that shifting problem ****es me off. i would change it myself if i knew it wasn't a son of a B. that is probally the one thing that get to me the most on this car, well that blinker relay thing really ****es me off too. i will change plugs and wires just to be safe. i just really didn't know where the best price to order them from was.

also, yes i realize the cold dense air will hurt mpg. however, my car is getting worse mpg now in 50 degree weather than it did in the coldest 15-20 weather in the previous years....

applexpanther
12-18-2004, 01:37 PM
yeah, that shifting problem ****es me off. i would change it myself if i knew it wasn't a son of a B. that is probally the one thing that get to me the most on this car, well that blinker relay thing really ****es me off too. i will change plugs and wires just to be safe. i just really didn't know where the best price to order them from was.

also, yes i realize the cold dense air will hurt mpg. however, my car is getting worse mpg now in 50 degree weather than it did in the coldest 15-20 weather in the previous years....

do u have any mods? like the performance chip aka that 3.3k ohm resistor in your IAT sensor? that will lower your MPG substantially

cals400ex
12-18-2004, 04:13 PM
the only thing that isn't stock is a drop in K&N and my michelin tires. how often should you change the cat?