****ing at torque peak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ****ing at torque peak

Ridenour
12-18-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm curious - Would I have a better 1/4 mile time if I let my tranny shift at my torque peak 4500-5000-ish, or if I bounced it off the rev limiter on every shift? I heard revving past torque peak is lost power, so I don't know If I should just put it to the floor and let it redline on every shift, or should I try to keep it between 4500-5000 as much as possible? Thanks

Mike Jung
12-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Let it shift just before the redline.

You don't want the engine bouncing off of the rev limiter.

If you have the tranny shifting at the engine's peak torque @ 4000rpm, it will shift into a lower rpm range in the next gear (with less torque).
[The max horsepower is @ 4800rpm.]

I hope you are NOT manually shifting the auto tranny!
Just put the gear selector in 3 (locks out OverDrive) & turn off the traction control.

Ridenour
12-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Makes sense - that's what I'll start doing. I already put it in 3rd gear w/ trac off when racing, but I have been bouncing it off the rev limiter. I do NOT shift it manually cause i know that's a dumbassed thing to do. I guess going past really does lose power, because now that I think about it when I wind it over 5K it goes Blaaaaaa..... and has no pull. So I'll start letting it shift before then. Thanks.