97 Grand Am with Quad 4-4th alternator-Why? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 97 Grand Am with Quad 4-4th alternator-Why?

robcaryh
12-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Howdy all
I just put the 4th alternator in 5 years into my 97 Grand Am with the Quad 4. Does this motor do something to them so they don't last long?
The bearings were out in this one,the other three i didnt get a look at,the first 2 were covered by warranty and the last one I had to pay for so I just put this,the 4th one,in myself and saved $250 in labor. I am hoping the ones the dealer got for it were from a different vendor than I got mine from.
Any clue or is this just a random thing I have to put up with every couple years now?

Irate
12-19-2004, 01:35 AM
Well, if its a bearing issue, I would say check your tensioner and make sure you have the correct belt length... does the belt feel right? Alternators don't just fail like that...

robcaryh
12-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Yeah,the belt doesn't feel too tight and the tensioner is working fine. The dealer had no explanation either. I know this one had the bearings go bad and from what I was told by the previous owner,when it went bad they heard a whirring chirping from under the hood so it was the bearings then too. The belt was replaced and is only about 2 years old,it is the gm spec factory belt from the dealer.

robcaryh
12-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Well,on the way in tonight the charging system light came back on. I can only assume either the new alternator is now bad or it is something else. Has anyone got any clue what I could check? The belt seems ok,i can push it down a little so it's not real tight or real loose. I am so upset at this I don't know what to do. I love my grand am but I am thinking seriously of selling it.

robcaryh
12-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Well,the alternator I put in saturday went out this morning. It is now at the dealer getting looked at again. They were saying since the bearings seem to be going that maybe the tensioner is bad or the belt is crooked. Who knows. I am ready to buy a damn toyota after this crap.

robcaryh
12-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Well,the garage just called and said my new alternator is hosed. I bought it from advance auto parts so it might be garbage. I just hope the one they put on is better. It's 12 degrees here and having to wait 2 hours for a tow today sucked.