could this actually be bad...? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : could this actually be bad...?

carsarecool
12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
well i was just talking about what oil is better for what temp. on another thread, and i came across this while looking around amsoil's website... http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html now sure amsoil is the best, i expected it to be first, and mobil 1 5W is just a little higher, no big deal still looks good. look at the last one though, is the 0W-30 really that bad with that wear test? probly just being paranoid but who isnt w/ these cars haha? i just switched to 0W, i know its full synth. but i dont wanna wear away my pistons cam valves crankshaft or anything from an oil change

mcgrady
12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Amsoil is great oil, no doubt.

But I put little to no faith in these "independant tests" they have plastered all over the website. I also would not leave oil in my engine as long as they claim either. A real independant test showed that Amsoil thickens when warm as the oil gets older. That's gonna drop fuel economy.

applexpanther
12-19-2004, 02:42 PM
i wouldnt worry so much about what oil to put in your grand am. if you had a bently or something than i might see the concern. as long as its suitable for the weather in your area and lubes as its supposed to. lol

Hodge
12-19-2004, 05:45 PM
i stick with mobile1 5w-30, expensive, but does well.

CoopGT
12-19-2004, 08:57 PM
well i was just talking about what oil is better for what temp. on another thread, and i came across this while looking around amsoil's website... http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html now sure amsoil is the best, i expected it to be first, and mobil 1 5W is just a little higher, no big deal still looks good. look at the last one though, is the 0W-30 really that bad with that wear test? probly just being paranoid but who isnt w/ these cars haha? i just switched to 0W, i know its full synth. but i dont wanna wear away my pistons cam valves crankshaft or anything from an oil change

That seems a little extreme to me . If you lived in Alaska I could under stand. It shouldn't hurt anything but 5W-30 would be fine here in NY state. :)

dxtreme_85
12-19-2004, 09:57 PM
I am a dealer of both Amsoil and Mobil 1. I sell just as much, if not more, amsoil than I do mobil 1. Most who have tried it, love it and don't go back. I use it in my car, along w/ either a K&N or AMSoil oil filter.

Of course, I also get a discount on it. :)

twisted
12-19-2004, 11:07 PM
what about royal purple anyone use it ?

carsarecool
12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
thanks for the replies- i was just worried about how big the "wear scar" thing was in the amsoil test in that link. is the change interval for amsoil really 35,000 miles?!?